desulfation battery tenders?

DeBenGuzzi

is it just electronic snake oil? does it really make a battery last longer, I would think 5 years is plenty without even having a battery tender until now I got a delvic 2 bank tender but does the mattery minder really make the battery better or last longer?

Maybe it depends on battery type. I've seen and heard about AGM batteries destroyed by a battery tender (applied against recommendation) while a one-shot full charge will make such a battery happy for years. So I just wont try a battery tender with my Odyssey.

They'll last longer than if you let them go low like in winter months. If you keep them charged anyway the life should be similar. I like the convenience of the tender, plug them in and forget about it. Have been using them for many years with no issues.

All Battery Tenders are OK for AGM. The "Plus" is recommended for Gel.

http://batterytender.com/selection_guide.p...044dc7e11b02813

They'll last longer than if you let them go low like in winter months. If you keep them charged anyway the life should be similar. I like the convenience of the tender, plug them in and forget about it. Have been using them for many years with no issues.

All Battery Tenders are OK for AGM. The "Plus" is recommended for Gel.

http://batterytender.com/selection_guide.p...044dc7e11b02813

Paying $140 for my last BMW k-bike battery convinced my that spending $20 on a battery tender to keep it charged, happy and ready to go was a good investment. I have 4 bikes registered and sometimes it's a long time between consecutive rides, which doesn't do any favors for the batteries. But now I have 4 bikes, 4 battery tenders - and they're all always ready to run. I don't know what the battery is in my V11, it's some sealed thing - but the PO evidently kept a tender on it (plug was still on the battery when I got it) so I didn't have any qualms keeping one on.

Do you disconnect your battery from the bike's electrical system before putting it on the tender/charger? I have been due to some posts a couple of years ago about there not being any not being any protection for the ECU...but, now I wonder if that is true?

I just put an Odyssey in a couple of weeks ago after five years of use from my previous mailorder AGM (which I left on a tender many times including +6 months sitting out of the bike while I was overseas). k

Do you disconnect your battery from the bike's electrical system before putting it on the tender/charger? I have been due to some posts a couple of years ago about there not being any not being any protection for the ECU...but, now I wonder if that is true?

I just put an Odyssey in a couple of weeks ago after five years of use from my previous mailorder AGM (which I left on a tender many times including +6 months sitting out of the bike while I was overseas). k

You can leave everything hooked up. Your ECU will not be harmed.

I've got an optimate which I plug in every time I put the bike away. It comes with a socket which you connect permanently to the battery, so you just have to plug the optimate in to the socket and switch it on at the mains (with battery still connected) - all totally hassle-free. I bought it cos otherwise the alarm drains the battery, and it seems to work fine - I'm still on the original battery (7 years old now) and as yet it shows no sign of dying.