So my Stucchi arrived today thanks Arek,and i'm getting stuck in got all the bolts out and everything off fairly strait forward but how do i get the old crossover to break loose on the front end?was thinking of a few light taps with a screw driver but don't want to damage it,a bit of wood,also do i use all the rubber dampers for the hanger.

Stu.

So my Stucchi arrived today thanks Arek,and i'm getting stuck in got all the bolts out and everything off fairly strait forward but how do i get the old crossover to break loose on the front end?was thinking of a few light taps with a screw driver but don't want to damage it,a bit of wood,also do i use all the rubber dampers for the hanger.

Stu.

Disconnect the pipes at the head if you haven't. Loosening the head pipes from the crossover individually is easier than trying to remove the crossover with the pipes tight. Try to rock it up & down and side to side where they connect. That will help spread the pipe and loosen where it slips over.

Always use rubber when connecting any exhaust part to frame. I don't know what the Stucchi mount looks like. I had to shorten the original to mount the FBF crossover on mine.

My pipes had a tiny bit of mung that was like a tiny spot weld holding the OEM crossover to the pipe.

I had to break that before I could remove the crossover.

I agree with the above -- removing the pipes from the jugs makes the job much easier.

One more idea: Penetrating oil, the real stuff, NOT WD40. Put a generous amount of penetrating oil at the junction between the boom box and the headers, come back in a few hours and warm it up with heat gun. No grantees but this works well most of the time. If it doesn't come loose then I'd agree with idea of pulling the headers out of the heads.

As a bit of unsolisited advice, put anti-seaze on the joints and the threads of the nuts and bolts when you put it back together. The job will go much more smoothly next time. It is a Guzzi, there will be a next time. ^_^

Lex

Stu.

Stu, so you got it! great ... I was wondering. I hope you enjoy it. BTW I installed the quat-d ... its very cool :)

You're in Houston, right? Take it down to MPH, and they'll fix it right up for you . . .

Greg yes i'm in Houston but not the one your thinking of as in Texas,i'm in Houston British Columbia Canada,Pity.

From your other post on my topic on my mods you indicated you work in a bike shop,is this correct?

So my question to you is how would you loosen up the front of my OEM crossover had a few good ideas already so one more cant hurt and what does your Pc111 setup cost,i suppose with the Ti cans,Stucchi,snorkels pulled off,K&N in the stock air box i will need to remap event'ually Yes,No,not in any hurry for the stuff right now anyway as i'll be up to my neck in snow any day now,like tomorrow.

Thanks Stu.

That luggage rack doesn't look like any commercial product I've seen so far?

Yes, it's DIY. It was with the bike when I bought it in 2004. The MGCycles one looks similar, maybe the previous owner had it in mind when he started bending. On the other hand, similar problems often lead to similar solutions.

Hubert

OK Hubert, just what I thought. The reason for that question is I'm trying to conjure something neater than the horrible Hepco&Becker standard luggage rack cum pannier...ummm...thing which looks bloody awful when riding without the hard cases.

H&B offers neat quick release side kits to newer models and I thought I could add some attatchment points to a simple clean rack and do some welding and winding pipes to comform my existing side carrier kit to it.

Only I'm not sure whether the Stucchi rack is sturdy enough and I haven't seen any other ready made products for the Elfe offered here in Europe.

OK Hubert, just what I thought. The reason for that question is I'm trying to conjure something neater than the horrible Hepco&Becker standard luggage rack cum pannier...ummm...thing which looks bloody awful when riding without the hard cases.

H&B offers neat quick release side kits to newer models and I thought I could add some attatchment points to a simple clean rack and do some welding and winding pipes to comform my existing side carrier kit to it.

Only I'm not sure whether the Stucchi rack is sturdy enough and I haven't seen any other ready made products for the Elfe offered here in Europe.

I just purchased a whole system,for my 2002 Le Mans from ventura-mca.com made in New Zeland but i purchased mine from there distributor in Washington ST USA.

The system includes mounting brackets,top bag,rain cover,the upright piece that holds the actual top bag is

detachable so does not detract to much from the looks of the Guzzi,

Quality stuff and everything mounted up ok if a little finicky,this is soft luggage by the way and goes good with my Techno side bags,i to was looking at Hepco Becker but a little to pricey for me right now plus this stuff turns into a backpack with optional straps,i think mine is the 35 ltr one which expands,you can also purchase another one or a larger modal and then zip them together for more capacity,i could try to send pics if anyone's interested,have a hard time getting pics to this site.

Stu