Cherry Bombs on a V11

c20500

I always wondered how cherry bomb glasspacks would sound on a v11 Guzzi so here it is:

Serious growl, but not nearly as loud as any harley...

The 2" versions fit right on the stock crossover for the experiment. I have a set of used original cans that I have surgically gutted and these, once the ends are trimmed will fit right in. I was going to cut the ends off the stock cans but wanted to preserve the mounting and foot rest nuts on the inner cans so I've cut them on one side and removed the pipes/baffles. I'll post photos afterwards.. I've seen the photos of the opened up stock cans here on the forum and I tried with cutting holes on the end but this will be easier and better. Stock cans on ebay $65 plus Cherrybombs at 60 a pair and some beer for someone to weld them in.. not too concerned with mild steel/stainless issue and it should be at least 400 cheaper than a pair of mistrals and they will look bone stock.

Charles

Yes, they are a bit heavy, but should be pretty close to the original weight after surgery.

I also have toyed with the idea, but the overall weight of the bombs finally made me say no.

This is really cool! I like the idea. Why are these parts so heavy?

Hubert

Housing is steel. So, core your muffler and install a heavier muffler inside it. :huh2:

Housing is steel. So, core your muffler and install a heavier muffler inside it. :huh2:

actually there's very little difference in weight as the shell and core will be gone once the ends are welded on.

Beauty covers slip back on and even the end caps will fit by opening up the reducer flange.

actually there's very little difference in weight as the shell and core will be gone once the ends are welded on.

Beauty covers slip back on and even the end caps will fit by opening up the reducer flange.

Have you weighed anything?

The internals of the stock cans are weighing a ton or so. They're made of steel, you know ;)

Hubert

So I have weighed the cans:

Stock w/o the beauty cover and end cap/mounting etc is 6 pounds 15.8 ounces.

With cherry bomb and half of the shell intact is 7 pounds 13 ounces.. when I remove most of the shell which is at least the 13.5 ounces on the pieces I removed on one side there will be a net weight savings 0.3 ounces. Call it even after the welds and more of the shell gone.

So, at least it won't weigh more, just more flow and sound.

pipeweight 1.jpg

Charles,

before you beginn welding things together you should check whether it's possible to make the original ends turnable. Weld the pipe directly to the bomb after you've cut off the front plate of the OEM can. This would allow you to mount the cans in different positions (like the Titaniums for instance).

Hubert

Charles,

before you beginn welding things together you should check whether it's possible to make the original ends turnable. Weld the pipe directly to the bomb after you've cut off the front plate of the OEM can. This would allow you to mount the cans in different positions (like the Titaniums for instance).

Hubert

Well, I welded them in without cutting off the ends and the bomb ends stick out around 1/2". I cut out the tapering outlet on the end covers and painted the aluminum cans to semi gloss black and they look just like my originals.

I couldn't be happier with the results as it looks stock, weighs the same but flows and sounds great. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow to see if the fueling is way off or not. I could put a reducer on the bomb end to tune it later if required.

Charles