RPM-TDC Sensor Oil Leak

stormsedge

My TDC sensor is leaking oil. It looks like it is seeping out where the rubber block adheres to the metal mounting tab. I'm considering cleaning it up with electical contact cleaner, then placing a small bead of super glue or silicone to get me down the road a little longer...however, knowing that it will only be a short term bandaid vice a repair, I will have to replace when I get the down time. The repair manual describes setting/checking the air gap inside the timing cover...easy enough, but takes some time and sanitary conditions. Has anyone changed their TDC out using without setting the gap, that is, using the original shims? What happened? Heading out for a couple of weeks, so your post will languish until I get back. Appreciate response. k

My TDC sensor is leaking oil. It looks like it is seeping out where the rubber block adheres to the metal mounting tab. I'm considering cleaning it up with electical contact cleaner, then placing a small bead of super glue or silicone to get me down the road a little longer...however, knowing that it will only be a short term bandaid vice a repair, I will have to replace when I get the down time. The repair manual describes setting/checking the air gap inside the timing cover...easy enough, but takes some time and sanitary conditions. Has anyone changed their TDC out using without setting the gap, that is, using the original shims? What happened? Heading out for a couple of weeks, so your post will languish until I get back. Appreciate response. k

Unplug it and look inside the connector. I've seen this type of sensor leak interanally on cars and saturate the connector with oil creaping into the wires. In fact, the cam sensor on my Aprilia did just that. Careful of leaving it too long if that is happening. There is a narrow range of air gap with such sensors to trigger properly but comparing the length from the mounting surface to the end on the old to the new should have you in the ball park. I'd guess the variations are more from bike to bike than from sensor to sensor so the original set up should be close enough.

:2c:

Unplug it and look inside the connector. I've seen this type of sensor leak interanally on cars and saturate the connector with oil creaping into the wires. In fact, the cam sensor on my Aprilia did just that. Careful of leaving it too long if that is happening. There is a narrow range of air gap with such sensors to trigger properly but comparing the length from the mounting surface to the end on the old to the new should have you in the ball park. I'd guess the variations are more from bike to bike than from sensor to sensor so the original set up should be close enough.

:2c:

If it won't start then the new sensor has too big or little gap.. If you put it in w/the same space as the original and the bike runs your good to go.. My EV motor in a Convert has too big a gap on the flywheel sensor but it still picks up and the bike runs fine.

I found some leakage at the TDC sensor/pickup on my bike also. Removal of the sensor showed what appeared to be an undersized o-ring as the leak cause. Once that was replaced with a one a size larger cross section and re-inforced with some Yama-Bond all has been well since.