Rocker59 gets hitched...

rocker59

are those peg mounts sturdy enough for that?

I guess I'll soon find out.

The hitch was originally built by the Uni-Go trailer people. I picked it up second hand and ordered the ball adapter.

You can't see the entire hitch. It's two pieces. The upper piece, that you can't see, mounts to the seat subframe in two locations.

Is that a horizontal refridgerator? Cool. Now we know who gets to haul the beer! :bier:

Yes. 1950s Frigidare mini fridge. It's just the skin, though...

787632476_sfbLF-M.jpg

787620919_CxeW8-M.jpg

Man, you just hitched a throughbred to a milkwagon.You want to pull a trailer, you should ride an EV.

Nice first post. Been lurking for over a year and this thread brought you out of the shadows... LOL!!!

I like the Californias, but I don't have one.

I can assure you that a California could not have kept up with me this weekend.

The pace was not a slow one, even with a pillion and a trailer...

I welcome you to check my ride report and my map links here: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=35558.0

...and to search my old posts, both here and at WildGuzzi.

That's an interesting setup! Any idea as to your loaded trailer tongue weight when you were on your trip?? What, if any, changes did you notice with the bike's handling when pulling the trailer??

That's an interesting setup! Any idea as to your loaded trailer tongue weight when you were on your trip?? What, if any, changes did you notice with the bike's handling when pulling the trailer??

I didn't measure the tongue weight, but I estimate it to be in the 20 to 25 lbs range.

The trailer's box is 24-inches wide, 44-inches long, 14-inches deep. Total width at the fenders is about 36-inches. It's a small trailer.

Changes I noticed? Well, the trailer pulls great and I barely noticed it back there. Its presence was most noticeable under braking. I could feel the weight when off the throttle and braking into corners. I think steering effort was increased a little. It didn't do anything strange, but I could feel it back there on the curvy roads while braking and turning. I guess it's hard to describe. If you've ever pulled a small trailer behind your automobile, you'll know what I mean.

Though I've pulled all kinds of trailers for many thousands of miles with cars and pickups, this past weekend was my first experience pulling a trailer behind a motorcycle. The first one hundred miles took some getting used to, but after that I adapted quickly. By the time I returned the next day after travelling almost 700 miles, I was very comfortable with the trailer.

On my last campout, I hauled a passenger AND my camping gear on the bike. I enjoyed hauling the same load with the trailer much better...

Love the fridge idea!

Yeah. Makes me laugh everytime I look at it.

The novelty of the vintage mini-fridge is what made me pull the trigger on this particular trailer.

This is my baby step into trailering to campouts. I'm just trying it for fun...

FYI, you can weigh your tongue w/a fish scale. (wish I were photoshop proficient for that one!)

I notice trailer most going in/out driveways with a dip, if the trailer wheels go over it separately you feel a little head shake but your going slow so it is no way upsetting.

another thing to consider, safety chain? if so will the trailer bring you down into the ditch or into oncoming if it has a flat or other failure?

If you don't safety chain will you be cited by law enforcement? could it break away and kill someone other than you?

DSCN0310.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg