Vintage car & bike races

Tom M

If you like old race cars and bikes and want to kill some time you can see my pictures here.

Here's the only Guzzi I saw on the track. The bike sounded great but he didn't do too well.

Loudon100.jpg

Would you race on a home made BRAZED frame?

Loudon040.jpg

I was told that this was the last Aermacchi/Harley factory racer imported to the USA

Loudon056.jpg

Some of you F1 fans may recognize the bloke in the blue shirt who was kicking around in the pits.

Loudon085.jpg

There were lots of cool cars and sidehacks there too.

There was at least pictures of a beautiful Moto Guzzi Dondolino, don't know wether it was actually on the track!

I didn't see the old bacon slicer on the track, but he might have had it out during the morning practice session before I got there. Is it just me or does that folding work table look a little scary?

Loudon122.jpg

If you guys like those racing guzzi's, I have an addendum. Of a Guzzi who doesn't sound that great but goes very well !

This year I was asked to replace the 61 year old driver who lead this Guzzi in 2008 and 2009 to victory in Classic Bikes championship in Belgium. The class he was racing in was suspended (because of too fast and too dangerous - A British rider lost his life last year during a race) and a new class (post-classic bikes from 72 till 82) was born, allowing 4 cilinder japanese bikes (only racing frames like Harris, Bakker, Martin, Egli etc.) So, all these bikes of the previous, suspended class were here again. What do you mean, too fast and too dangerous!

I didn't have much time to get used to the Le Mans but it all reminded me of my old Le Mans. Long, low and mean. The small tires, small forks and the small brakes were my biggest concern.

A part of the legendary 'diabolo' of Mettet, a 5km long triangle street-track, was the first race to ride. Also called the race of the mechanics because only the fastest bikes can win here.

Saturday, I managed to get the fourth place on the grid, fastest of my class, the twins and triples (the fours and the factory 2 strokes are different classes in the same race). But when it was time for the warm-up lap I had a mechanical failure. The left sparkplug was ripped out of the head. In front of my eyes I saw the bikes gathering on the grid and I was standing there, lonely, at about 200 meters from the roaring machines and I couldn't be part of it. Too bad, too bad, there was some helicoil work to do. And a beer, and a beer, and a good night rest.

I couldn't wait for Race 2 on Sunday. Again, time practice lead me to the fastest lap in my class. Same practice-time like the winners race-time yesterday. I had mixed feelings because that winner of yesterday is a really fast Beemer. And last year, and the year before the biggest contender of the Guzzi.

I moved one place up on the starting grid, standing in third position, a Moto Martin 4cilinder on my right, and on my left an empty second spot where a Suzuki GSX should have been and on pole a Kawa 4cilinder. The Beemer right behind me, on the sixth spot, and a Laverda twin on seventh. Two other Dutch Guzzi's on 8 and 9.

I never saw them again. I lead the Guzzi in my first race to second place, behind the Kawa, 9 seconds in front of my first contender, the Beemer, 13 seconds of the Laverda and 22 and 34 seconds in front of the other Guzzis.

_DSC3568S.jpg

gold_trophy_mettet-2010_527.jpg

On 0,17 you see the start of Race2 on sunday, the Guzzi in second position. And a total impression of classic racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAhpZPl8-BI

The two other Guzzi's with the Laverda in battle for third

gold_trophy_mettet-2010_528.jpg

In last round, a very fast 2stroke is approaching.

gold_trophy_mettet-2010_557.jpg

Too bad, shit like this also happens

gold_trophy_mettet-2010_563.jpg

But in the end, whe're all feeling like kids

g-old-trophy-mettet-2010%20%2829%29.jpg

Next time, I'll tell you a story about these guy's

_DSC4405B.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! Just so happens this is my racing crew:

I was there for practice on Friday but burned a piston and had to go home. :wacko: Of all the spare parts nobody had a standard bore piston! Even my spare motor was too sloppy to use. Oh well I'll just get it ready for June 14th when it's just bikes.

Joe

Congrat's on your 2nd place finish JC! Thanks for the pics and video too.

Do you race a 2 stroke Yammie Joe? Too bad I didn't get to see you race.

I doubt anyone cares but the bloke in the blue shirt in the original post is former racer and current SPEED F1 commentator David Hobbs