ECU Model No

Kiwi_Roy

I'm a bit confused over the different ECUs used

My V11 has one with the square multipin plug, the 15M I think.

Most of the pictures I see show one with the long plug 16M I think

Which is the later version and is there any significant difference?

How many of you are running an after market unit, which one and why did you select it?

My ECU has an issue, also my power commander has a problem and I'm not sure what's the best path forward.

Thanks

Roy

All V11's have the 15M. The 1100 Sport (1997-98), which is otherwise damn near identical engine-wise, has the older 1.6M (and also the old five-speed gearbox). The Cali has probably had them all (including the even older P8 and maybe the yet older P7, I'm not sure).

Functionality in 1.6M and 15M is the same and they use the same sensors except the 15M has the ambient air pressure sensor built-in. My bike has it externally. Apart from that you'd just have to convert the connector if you wanted to switch between them.

What's the problem with your ECU? The 15M seem to be much more reliable than the 1.6M and the map they put in it is also better I think.

MyECU. I liked the full user tuning and it works. Closed loop tuning is an option. Price is a plus, two options, prebuilt or solder yourself. Small group of very deticated users, makes questions and answers quick and simple. Do a search and you will find a lot of info. Cliff, the developer, stays active and has branched out to other makes that also use the similar generations of the ECU, Ducati, Laverda, etc.

It normally is built into the orginal case so it fits it the OEM location and to the OEM wire harness.

What's the problem with your ECU? The 15M seem to be much more reliable than the 1.6M and the map they put in it is also better I think.

My bike came with a Power Commander III installed. After about an hour I suddenly loose one cylinder, just drops right out no warning

Going back to standard the bike runs fine for 1/2 hour or so but then it starts to miss occasionally and spit back, not too bad just like it misses one beat in 1000. If at idle it will stall,

Connecting the Power Commander back cures that.

I traced the wires on the Power Commander and I find it uses a different pair of drivers for the injectors so I'm fairly sure one of them is cutting out on over temperature.

For some reason I thought you were using MyECU :unsure:

Please see my response to Emry re tie 15m 16M confusion

MyECU. I liked the full user tuning and it works. Closed loop tuning is an option. Price is a plus,

Yes, that last point interests me for sure :rolleyes:

I really like all I have read about the unit and the fact he explains it well with diagrams etc so you get the feeling it;s not just a mysterious black box and it combines two items into one, ECU and Power Commander.

The website seems to concentrate on the "16M" with only a passing reference to 15M, I think this has added to my confusion

is it 1.6M or 16M i.e. 15M is a later version than 1.6M One little decimal makes a huge difference (not just to my bank account)

So which unit did you buy My16M or My15M, the latter seems to come only pre-built

For some reason I thought you were using MyECU :unsure:

I do! Running closed loop for the third year or so. I love it.

I think you are the kind of guy who would enjoy one, needed or not (I didn't really need it, I just wanted one!). As I originally had a 1.6M in my bike, I've got a My16M but you should buy a My15M of course. There is very little difference except form factor, connector and the mentioned air pressure sensor.

Last I saw, you can by the My15M as a kit too but some surface mounted stuff are premounted. Anyway you can probably negotiate the details with Cliff if you like.

I do! Running closed loop for the third year or so. I love it.

OK, I took your advice and ordered a 15M, Cliff said he can ship it Monday so I may get it the following week.

You'll have to tell me more about running closed loop, I assume you need to buy an O2 sensor for that.

One of these days my wife's going to figure out how much I'm spending on my Italian girlfriend, then I'm in trouble :grin:

Roy

Congrats, I got the feeling long ago that you, if anybody, should have one, but I didn't wan't to push you into it :)

We'll sort out the sensor stuff. Anyway you should start out in open loop and tinker with that 'til you're bored, so there's no need to hurry.

We had a ball here with the flat 27 page MyECU thread until Cliff put up his own dedicated forum. But nothing beats the old hostile ECU thread from 2005, that's what set me off years ago. It is still three pages longer than our MyECU thread! There's a lot of good knowledge hidden in all that bickering. That thread takes a full day or more to digest.

I'm sure this info is out there but my bike had a PCIII when I bought it so I haven't paid much attention to the MyECU threads here in the past. How do people who choose the open loop option tune their maps? Seat-of-the-pants? Lots of dyno time? Are there different maps available depending on what modifications the user has?

They are in just the same position as anyone with a PCIII, except they have more parameters to play with, if they want to. That is, you can find a "close enough" map, and/or you can tune it by seat-of-the-pants and/or you could spend days at the dyno.

I recently have reactivated my TuneEdit-ed OEM ecu, just out of curiosity. It works, I can alter the maps and watch the ARF meter showing different values after that. I can alter the spark map and watch the consumption going down. So far that's ok.

But that's it. No more possibilities. And my experience is that working on maps without a wideband O2 probe is rather useless. Working on maps without some really comfortable logging device is useless as well.

So for anybody interested what EFI means and how it works a MyEcu, an Optimiser and of course a wideband probe is obligatory - because it makes EFI touchable and understandable. It makes the world become your every days' dyno ;) For those interested every other system is more or less wasted time only. The last based on the fact that the OEM ecu with/without an updated OEM map works ok as well.

Hubert

They are in just the same position as anyone with a PCIII, except they have more parameters to play with, if they want to. That is, you can find a "close enough" map, and/or you can tune it by seat-of-the-pants and/or you could spend days at the dyno.

I don't know about that Raz. I could be mistaken but it seems like getting a really good open loop MyECU map might be a little more difficult than getting a really good PCIII map on this side of the pond. There are lots of PCIII maps floating around, I'm not sure about MyECU map availability. There are also lots of dyno tuning centers over here that can create custom maps for PCIII's. I have no idea if they can modify MyECU maps as easily as they can for the PCIII. On the other hand, the ability to pull a little timing out and prevent pinging with the MyECU may be just what some Guzzis need.

I think the closed loop MyECU is a great option except for the cost of all the extra stuff.

Yes, that is an aspect. The dyno guy I talked to (not a Dynojet affiliate) thought it was interesting and he would gladly tune it (though I have postponed it). But some Dyno Centers might just think it's a hassle and want you to invest in a PC III instead. Also, tuning a PCIII at a Dynojet center is probably quicker (thus less expensive) as they have everything worked out and just follow a semi automated procedure.

I don't know about that Raz. I could be mistaken but it seems like getting a really good open loop MyECU map might be a little more difficult than getting a really good PCIII map on this side of the pond. There are lots of PCIII maps floating around, I'm not sure about MyECU map availability. There are also lots of dyno tuning centers over here that can create custom maps for PCIII's. I have no idea if they can modify MyECU maps as easily as they can for the PCIII. On the other hand, the ability to pull a little timing out and prevent pinging with the MyECU may be just what some Guzzis need.

I think the closed loop MyECU is a great option except for the cost of all the extra stuff.

I have a Power Commander that is faulty, came with the bike so I don't know how old it is but one of the serial interface variety, runs fine for about an hour then suddenly cuts out on one cylinder.

My ECU also has some issues. it starts to run ragged after a while as well, so what am I to do? :(

I could replace the ECU and be back to square 1, stuck with a black box and no way of self tuning.

If I stick with the power commander I either have to repair or replace, then I'm stuck with this awkward object taking up valuable space under the seat.

The Power Commander only takes over the Injectors, the ECU is still driving the spark etc. What if that gives out on me.

or

I can replace both faulty objects in one fell swoop for a less than the cost of a Power Commander.

I know the idea of putting together a kit is a bit daunting for some but it doesn't frighten me, besides they are available made up.

I will probably never dyno the bike, as long as I can get it to run half decent on a regular basis I will be more than happy.

I think most of all what I like about the MyECU is Cliff's willingness to share the secrets of his little box of tricks.

I should also add I like the idea of building something for the bike.

Perhaps I am making a big mistake, only time will tell. :rasta:

It'll have you hooked right from the moment the engine fires for the first time. You'll have built something for your bike and your bike will answer to it. And this part will not be a piezo honk for the indicators :)

I don't think I can imagine how Cliff felt when he had his first unit incl. the software ready and the engine really started up with it.

Hubert