Oil Cooler

invstor17

Hey Guys,

Noticed my oil cooler brackets were cracked and ordered a set of stainless ones from Harpers. Showed up, went to install, and three of the four large head black bolts that thread into the cooler were totally rounded off in the allen key hole, now that I had a go at removing the fourth one, it is as well. Seem to have been put in with a special nuclear grade loctite when it was in to have the regulator replaced. Couple things. First, if someone could tell me the part numbers for those bolts and the fancy rubber bushings behind them I would really appreciate it, a source for them on top of that would be VERY much appreciated.

Second, any advice for removing the ones in there now with the rounded off allen holes? Anyone experience this? I was going to try and grab the outside of the round bolt head with a big pair of channel locks before trying to drill and use a bolt extractor, always had mixed luck with those and proximity to the oil cooler gives me pause.

Thanks so much guys!

You can download the parts catalog and service manual from here: http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/moto_guzzi_misc.htm#gtb_spare_parts_catalogs

Vice grips should work better than pliers for grabbing stripped screw heads. Another thing you could try is dremel a slot into the screw heads and use a straight blade screwdriver on them. If that doesn't work I guess you'll have to drill the heads off unless there's a screw extractor out there that will work on a buggered allen head. Some say a left handed drill bit will often remove the screw when you're drilling it out but I've never tried it.

Good luck.

The same thing happened to me. First try cutting a slot in the bolt head. If you cant get it out with the screwdriver then use the vise grips. Heat will break the loctite grip, but of course be careful of the other parts if you take a plumbers torch to heat the bolts. I think about 600 degrees or so will undo the loctite.

The same thing happened to me. First try cutting a slot in the bolt head. If you cant get it out with the screwdriver then use the vise grips. Heat will break the loctite grip, but of course be careful of the other parts if you take a plumbers torch to heat the bolts. I think about 600 degrees or so will undo the loctite.

300 Fdeg will deactivate red locktite. Cheap (sacrificial) allen wrenches in the correct size and some epoxy will give you a new handle on the bolts.

According to my package of Loctite 2701, it can withstand 150°C (300°F) but it also says you should heat to 300°C (575°F) for breaking it. Anyway mine were very tight too, but there was no Loctite on them. I think they were run into the bottom of the threads and then corroded too. I replaced them with aluminum ones.

An impact driver combined with a little heat works wonders on stuck hardware. If the head is rounded out you may have to cut a slot for the driver to purchase. You can match any head out there with a 1/2 to 3/8 reduction on the driver. :sun:

you can get one of these left hand drills big enough to take off the head - either it will grab enough to unscrew it while you are drilling , or you will get the head off which will allow tou to remove the cooler and put some vice grips on the exposed threads and break it loose

you can get one of these left hand drills big enough to take off the head - either it will grab enough to unscrew it while you are drilling , or you will get the head off which will allow tou to remove the cooler and put some vice grips on the exposed threads and break it loose

Left-hand drill bits, nice, I'm getting a set of those to throw in the tool box for the next time the need arises. Thanks for the tip! :D