Driveline Slack

SMDL

Excessive movement of the bevel box assembly on the axle indicates a shot needle bearing, #31 is the spacer/internal race inside the bearing (#30). It is easy to replace, any bearing shop can get the bearing/spacer for you. Or go pay twice as much thru Guzzi. Not a big job at all, use an expandable bearing puller (gently) and it'll pop right out and don't press the new one in any farther that it needs to go. Go easy it is a delicate item. Lube the needles and spacer with wheel bearing grease. After assembly wipe additional grease about the washer (#33) to keep moisture out.

Here are the numbers I have for Bearing HK2516RS and Race IR20x25x18 (IRZ)

The IRZ is an option on the race number, this just gets you one with a hole in it. Purpose of that hole is unknown but it seems like a fine path for moisture to find its way to the bearing. I haven't bothered with the hole version and its been fine for the last 40,000km. The ticket to long life on this unit is lube that needle bearing everytime you have the rear wheel off the machine. All that needle bearing itself does it support the nose end of the bevel box and allow rotational movement of the assemble on the axle as your rear suspension works. The internal race/spacer is part of the "stack" on the axle that comes tight with the axle nut. Hope that helps :sun:

Thanks Monkey! And to the nearest(only) bearing shop in my little town I go, come Monday. And to a tool shop because I've had that bearing puller in my shopping list for so long now...