Motobits Peg Relocater Review

IBA 270

Hey Gang,

Just wanted to drop a line to the group and share my thoughts on my recent purchase of the Motobits peg relocator kit.

Here are the particulars:

Bike: 2002 Le Mans

Victim...er, rider: 45yo, 6'4 240lbs male, poor attitude, bad kneeds, likes beer and girls...avg. I suppose...

The Product: Motobits peg relocators.

Install time; 1hr45m

I ordered on a Tuesday, arrived at my house in Texas on Thursday...amazing! :thumbsup:

The kit is very straight forward even if the instructions are a bit confussing. I don't blame this as much on the directions themselves as I do the nature of the area and parts where the work is done: many don't have names that are commonly known...but if the installer simply reads the directions, looks at the pictures and the bike, it should be completed with little hastle. I was looking for an option that would both lower and relocate forward the peg. This kit fits the bill. Parts are high quality and packaged well. It took me just under two hours to complete the installation, but a couple of caveats: I spent an appreciable amount of time trying to determine if I could do a reverse shift or "GP" shift pattern with this kit. I'm sure that I can, but I haven't yet figured it out. Secondly is that I have installed more than a few rearset kits on a few different bikes so I found installation pretty straight forward. All in all, it should take the average person about 2 hours. There's nothing difficult or technical.

Observations: These pegs are solid mounts, i.e. they don't fold. I like the feel of the pegs as they are knurled with plenty of grip. They provide a very solid feel which does vary from the traditional folding pegs. Having said that, the CAN BE hard on your shins and the backs of your legs when moving around in the garage or power walking. I don't find it an issue, and I'm guessing you won't either.

My grade? I give it an A-. Reason for the score; I'd like a simple way to reverse the shift pattern. I'm in a slim minority here I know...otherwise, they get a higher score.

Customer service is an A+. Exceeded expections with communication, shipping and support.

Cost: No score here...rearsets cost this and more. They are expensive, but that's relative and they are certainly in line with other products for Guzzi and any other make for that matter.

Just FYI...hope this helps anyone looking at this option.

I've had the Motobits kit for four years and have been very happy with the comfort and durability. They are very well made. Brent's service is top-notch.

Now the gripe: The outward repositioning of the shift linkage creates a twisting stress on the link that attaches to the selector shaft coming out of the gear box. This link was not designed to take this force and will eventually crack and break. This has happened to me twice.

I strongly suggest carrying a spare (about $20) or taking the part to a competent welder and have him build up some metal for extra strength.

Even with this little headache, the Motobits kit is well worth it. :drink: