Help Transmission Pre- selector cover leaking oil!

twistitopen

I have a 2000 V11 sport Nakid. It is leaking oil out of the pre-selector cover. Not the sealant gasket around it. Please check out my picture attach. Has anyone else have had this problem? I've been checking the service repair manual Its not giving me a straight answer or a part (rubber seal) etc.... What can I do?

pre selector cover half.jpg

It's been a while since I had that cover off but I believe your arrow is pointing to a machined pin that's press fitted into the cover. It's the axle for one of the selector wheels. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm right I think the only reason for a leak to suddenly start there is that pin might be working it's way loose. I'd pull the cover and check it out if that was my bike. If it was still tight I'd try and seal it from the inside if possible. I would change the pawl spring while I was in there too, but you might not need to since the breakage is most common on '02 bikes.

What's a pawl spring?

Pawl spring replacement thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2905&hl=

belfastguzzi pics that used to be linked:

V11 Pawl Spring

It's been a while since I had that cover off but I believe your arrow is pointing to a machined pin that's press fitted into the cover. It's the axle for one of the selector wheels. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

If I'm right I think the only reason for a leak to suddenly start there is that pin might be working it's way loose. I'd pull the cover and check it out if that was my bike. If it was still tight I'd try and seal it from the inside if possible. I would change the pawl spring while I was in there too, but you might not need to since the breakage is most common on '02 bikes.

What's a pawl spring?

Pawl spring replacement thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2905&hl=

belfastguzzi pics that used to be linked:

V11 Pawl Spring

\

Thank You for your reply. It is the press pin on the cover. What would you use to seal it?

If I pulled the cover and found that the pin wasn't working its way out of the casting I suppose I'd try some low viscosity loctite bearing retainer. Loctite 603 might work. I'd put it around the base of the pin on the inside and maybe put a shop vac on the outside of the plate to try and draw it in if it wasn't oozing into the joint on its own. If the selector wheel doesn't ride directly on the case I suppose a normal gasket sealer might work there too.

Bear in mind that I'm just a hack. You might want to ask a real mechanic what he'd suggest...

I had the same problem with my 2000 sport - I found that a Canadian penny was almost the perfect size to fill the void with some Permatex Ultra Grey applied either side (after cleaning with brake cleaner) - this was early in the life of the bike and have never had the problem since ...

Gio