Lamda probe

68C

My 2004 Lemans Rosso Corsa, which has a IAW15M ecu, does not have a lamda probe but it does have an unused 4 pin socket which appears to be in the correct location to connect to one. If fit a probe is there anything else I would need to do to take advantage of better air/fuel mixture in the cruise? I understand I would need to either fit a crossover with the threaded receptacle or make one up and weld it to my crossover. Alternativly, there are large nut/adaptars on both exhaust downpipes, can I use one of these?

No, you can't. If you plug anything else but the right things into this 3 pin connector you'll probably fry the ecu. Switching to a MW15M-RC (or so) won't help either 'cause you don't have the right harness in your bike.

hubert

My 2004 Lemans Rosso Corsa, which has a IAW15M ecu, does not have a lamda probe but it does have an unused 4 pin socket which appears to be in the correct location to connect to one. If fit a probe is there anything else I would need to do to take advantage of better air/fuel mixture in the cruise?

That's the test port: supposedly, there's a fitting that could be plugged into that port to test the ecu & verify it was working properly, download fault codes, etc.

Even if you *could* plug in a lambda probe to your 15M, you wouldn't want to. There's better ways to twiddle the numbers for your alpha-N injection.

I've had a look at the wiring diagram for the with and without catalyser bikes, although my bike is non-cat the wiring harness definitely has the four pin plug for the lamda probe - even the colour coding matches up, I suppose the factory simplified production by using one harness for both. The diagnostic socket of course has only three pins. However as you rightly pointed out my bike does not have the IAW15RC ecu, I guess that is the real difference, I was hoping that as my bike has the required harness it would be simple matter of just fitting the probe. I am not sure what the difference is between the 15M and the 15RC ecu, is it just mapping or software that could be changed? Thanks for your replies.

Sounds like you could source a 15RC from a later V11 and a sensor and just plug it in. There'd be no guarantees you would have a better running bike. A common complaint of later bikes with the sensor is that they run too lean.

You don't mention why you think you need to improve the mixture in cruise.

If you want to make it a little richer/leaner you have a few simple options. You could tweak the TPS, or the air temperature with an external resistor/potentiometer.

Sounds like you could source a 15RC from a later V11 and a sensor and just plug it in. There'd be no guarantees you would have a better running bike. A common complaint of later bikes with the sensor is that they run too lean.

You don't mention why you think you need to improve the mixture in cruise.

If you want to make it a little richer/leaner you have a few simple options. You could tweak the TPS, or the air temperature with an external resistor/potentiometer.

Or you could buy one of Cliff's excelent "MyECU" kits, then you can let it self tune.

Roy

... The diagnostic socket of course has only three pins. However ...

Sorry for being a bit quick with my answer. The KR and earlier bikes don't have this 4 pin connector spliced in already.

hubert

Although my bike is running OK, I understood - perhaps mistakenly - that our machines are set up weak to meet emission regulations, I assumed that the purpose of the lamda probe was to enable the ecu to run at the correct air/fuel ratio as it will know what is actually happening rather than assume. I am beginning to think I may be on the wrong track as looking through other threads suggests folk are keen to remove these probes rather than fit them. Thank you Cliff for sending me price and availability of the MY15M ecu and optimiser.

...I am beginning to think I may be on the wrong track as looking through other threads suggests folk are keen to remove these probes rather than fit them...

These switching probes can only tell lean from rich, not really something in-between. If you want to upgrade a wideband O2 system should also find place in your budget. At least you have a harness that will let you feed the signal into the ecu, maybe for two probes even.

hubert

Thanks, you described it as a switching probe, I suppose this is what I have found listed as a narrow band. I am now thinking I had best get a spare ecu and go the MY15M route, Cliff has let me know price etc.

Actually I was a little suprised at getting a reply from Cliff Himself (spelt G.O.D.)I felt like the headmaster had approached me in the playground and asked to see my project.

I am finding this fuel injection business fascinating, shame I am probably too old now to take advantage of it. Unlike the guy in the movies, the first thing I know about the wine bottle being dropped is when it hits my toe, so much for snakelike reactions.

...shame I am probably too old now to take advantage of it. ...

Don't think you're too old for that. You have a V11 either, and being a bit slower, that means thinking twice before screwing up all available buttons, will only be helpful. So if you're about buying one, do it.

hubert