Ok to use E10 biofuel on V11 Sport?

rossojoj

Revealing and informative articles Dan M, thank you. Any of us who store or let sit the plastic tanked V11 for any duration should empty the fuel tank prior. Astounded at the percentages (obviously fuel that has sat) found in some tests. Hygroscopic- means moisture draw- replace regularly.

Sorry, I was just trying to answer your question and thought I would throw in a little info on where I am coming from and how I came to my position.

I do accept that ethanol may be the reason for fuel tank issues, but as I pointed out the fuel tanks in question were supposed to be compatible with the ethanol and if they are not it seems stupid to blame the ethanol. I also offer up the idea that some people, including myself, have used gas containing up to 10% ethanol for a long time with out suffering these fuel tank issues.

There are a lot of additives in gasoline and they vary from location to location and from one time of year to another. The cause of the issues could be any combination of those additives, ethanol may or may not play a part.

I did not feel the need to say that there may be an issue as several people had already said that. Therefore I simply was trying to point out that some of us use fuel with ethanol in it and have no issues.

I believe there are a few factors. Different metro areas have different fuel blends and many change blends seasonally. Like today, ten years ago gas pumps were tagged "may contain up to 10% ethanol". In reality, before 2006 blends in most places had less than 10% A lower percentage had little effect on composites. Since 2006 the oil industry has been leaned on to get the amount of ethanol up to a full 10%. The warning stickers still read the same but the actual percentage is higher. At that level, we are seeing more problems.

On a similar note, E15 is becoming a reality. The pumps will be tagged as such and motorists will be warned not to us it in pre 2007 vehicles but EPA is granting partial waviers for use in 2001 and newer. In the partial waiver it lists all motorcycles as "should not use".

EPA on E15: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/additive/e15/#use

Thanks for all the useful info on the effects (or otherwise) of ethanol on plastics and hoses etc. What I can say is that with the Titanium Guzzi pipes fitted, associated 'Copa' ECU and filled with E10, the tune at the workshop has resulted in the bike being unusable with normal E5 (5% max ethanol) fuel. The workshop sais this is a known issue. The idle is up at 1200-1300 rpm and the mixture so rich the bike cannot be started 'hot'. At least the local mixture of E10 as sold by Shell is quite different from their 'super 95 E5' benzin. If you want or have to swap between E10 and Super 95 then don't get your bike tuned when full of E10.

I personally won't use the stuff ever in any vehicle for the simple reason that biofuel subsidies and the diversion of 18% of world land resources away from food will result in an extra 1 billion starving people by 2025 ! At least that's what the 'economist' (and about 20+ NGOs etc.) estimate. I hope that the Guzzisti start a worldwide boycott of ethanol based fuels that might one-day change the situation! :mg:

.. the tune at the workshop has resulted in the bike being unusable with normal E5 (5% max ethanol) fuel. The workshop sais this is a known issue. The idle is up at 1200-1300 rpm and the mixture so rich the bike cannot be started 'hot'. ...

I don't use it either, rather by the same reasons you mentioned. Nevertheless I would be very careful with statements as the one above. I never heard anything about the need to tune a bike to accept E10. This is surely not a known issue. Why did you do this? How did the bike behave with E10 and no special tune up?

Hubert