Difference between PC and PC3

furry

Ran across a PC for sale but the guy doens't know anything about it. I asked him which model it is but he doesn't know. I can't find much info about the older versions of the PC and I have a faint idea it is one of the older PC without the USB slot. Can maps be loaded to these? What are the major differences between the two? This one is just the unit, no cables, CD, paperwork, ect. I also assume I can d/l the software from the PC site? Although he does guarantee working operation is it worth a purchase? Asking price is $100.00

Yes, the PCIII uses the usb port, and I think there were 2 older models that use the 9 pin cable. The differences are that I can remember is the older models maps use 500 rpm incraments of fuel change for the mapping and the usb version is more refined with useing a 250 rpm. I couldn't notice any difference between the two. The usb version also has a function that inriches the fuel mixture like a carburator (accelerator pump). I never needed to use this function, but some have with dealing with ping issues.

Also, the maps are hard to use between the different models, while some were able to change the file type and then download it, I was never able to figure it out, I usually just manually plugged in the numbers by printing up the map on paper I wanted and placing in the numbers on the Powercommander chart.

Is it worth $100, I'm not really sure. Best bet is to ask for the numbers on the Powercommander and do a search for what it fits? Also, does it come with the download cable? The software can be still downloaded from the Powercommander site.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Ran across a PC for sale but the guy doens't know anything about it. I asked him which model it is but he doesn't know. I can't find much info about the older versions of the PC and I have a faint idea it is one of the older PC without the USB slot. Can maps be loaded to these? What are the major differences between the two? This one is just the unit, no cables, CD, paperwork, ect. I also assume I can d/l the software from the PC site? Although he does guarantee working operation is it worth a purchase? Asking price is $100.00

PC2 and 3 both use 9 pin serial cable and support fuelling increments of 500rpm. PC3USB uses USB and supports fuelling increments of 250rpm. The maps are also stored in a different format, but the USB model also supports the older .map files.

If you want to programme a 2 or 3 non usb model off the bike you'll need the battery adaptor (takes 9v pp3 battery) to fit between the cable and unit. All the units have the accelerator pump feature.

Other than that, not much between them. I use a PC3 non usb on my TDM 900 to correct the fuelling when I have non standard cans fitted and it works fine.

Hope this helps.

Trev

Thanks!

So after some more talking with the owner and more research I found it to be a PC3 NON-USB and fit the 2000 v11. So I'm missing the software (which I can d/l from the PC site), 9 pin data cable and the 9V batt adapter. I assume any serial cable will work? So without the 9 Volt adapter I can still program using my laptop plugged into the bike correct? Hopefully I think I have it all sorted and maybe a good deal as well..

You will need a DB9, 9 pin cable, female end on one side and male on the other. I would download the manual from the Powercommander site so you will know what you need. The non-usb models in the U.S. do not have the 9 volt battery option, I have only seen this on the usb models. I have used about 8 of these the last few years on the many bikes I have owned so I have been around the block with them.9 pin.jpg

Oh, and the Powercommander IS NOT Apple friendly!

Mike

Thanks!

So after some more talking with the owner and more research I found it to be a PC3 NON-USB and fit the 2000 v11. So I'm missing the software (which I can d/l from the PC site), 9 pin data cable and the 9V batt adapter. I assume any serial cable will work? So without the 9 Volt adapter I can still program using my laptop plugged into the bike correct? Hopefully I think I have it all sorted and maybe a good deal as well..

According to the UK Dynojet website, the part no for the 9v adaptor is Part Number 66116001. With that, you can program off the bike, or on the bike without ignition and/or engine running.

Linky to Dynojet.

My PC3 non usb works fine using a serial/usb convertor, but it is a bit fussy with some of them (apparently) according to reports I've heard.