Trip knob remove and fuel analyzer shop

frankwalter

Hey guys I'm struggling to take off the gauge cluster bezel on my '02 V11 LeMans. I don't know how to get the backing off the bezel. How do I get the trip knob off? Is it a press in or something else? I'm really vexed on how to do this any help would be great. Also I need to find a shop around annapolis Maryland that can use a gas analyzer and Dyno test my Guzzi to fix the fuel mixture. We have balanced the carbs as best we can and we need the fine adjustment that they can give us. Thanks guys!

Hey guys I'm struggling to take off the gauge cluster bezel on my '02 V11 LeMans. I don't know how to get the backing off the bezel. How do I get the trip knob off? Is it a press in or something else? I'm really vexed on how to do this any help would be great. Also I need to find a shop around annapolis Maryland that can use a gas analyzer and Dyno test my Guzzi to fix the fuel mixture. We have balanced the carbs as best we can and we need the fine adjustment that they can give us. Thanks guys!

Hi Frank

screw the trip knob clockwise, it has a LH thread. Four nuts hold the back of the instrument cluster on. Remover the speedo draive first. It's easier.

Cheers

guzz

Hi Frank

screw the trip knob clockwise, it has a LH thread. Four nuts hold the back of the instrument cluster on. Remover the speedo draive first. It's easier.

Cheers

guzz

Guzz can you please clarify. Am I holding the shaft and spinning the plastic knob or the whole thing as it turns easily clockwise and anitclockwise. Thanks for the help.

My 02 lemans has a Phillips screw holding the knob on.

It can be quite the buggar to get off

Andy

quote name='frankwalter' date='04 March 2012 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1330894346' post='184462']

Hi Frank

Cheers

guzz

Guzz can you please clarify. Am I holding the shaft and spinning the plastic knob or the whole thing as it turns easily clockwise and anitclockwise. Thanks for the help.

There may be different methods of attaching this trip reset knob......possibly dependent on what brand of speedometer is used.

I had a broken knob on my 2004 Coppa Italia recently and found that there is a small phillips head screw located in the center of the plastic knob. This held the plastic knob to a brass shaft that is connected to the trip reset stem that goes to the inside of the speedometer. That small phillips head screw is a normal RH thread and I removed it by holding the knob while turning the screw to the left. Once that is removed the plastic knob simply slides off.

Finding a replacement knob is another story. I finally made one out of stainless steel on my lathe and reinstalled it using the same phillips head screw. It works great now and looks like a custom piece.

Steve

Hi Frank

Cheers

guzz

Hi Frank,

What Guzz said is true for the Veglia speedo on my '02 Lemans. If you turn the knob clockwise it should unscrew.

FYI white faced Veglia gauges were used on V11s up until '02 in the USA. After that they came with black faced ITI gauges.

• 4 months later...

There may be different methods of attaching this trip reset knob......possibly dependent on what brand of speedometer is used.

I had a broken knob on my 2004 Coppa Italia recently and found that there is a small phillips head screw located in the center of the plastic knob. This held the plastic knob to a brass shaft that is connected to the trip reset stem that goes to the inside of the speedometer. That small phillips head screw is a normal RH thread and I removed it by holding the knob while turning the screw to the left. Once that is removed the plastic knob simply slides off.

Finding a replacement knob is another story. I finally made one out of stainless steel on my lathe and reinstalled it using the same phillips head screw. It works great now and looks like a custom piece.

Steve

What would it take to make one more knob and sell it to a another lowly Coppa owner?

Rick

Frank,

To clarify: You're spinning the shaft (and knob) clockwise. 'Clockwise' means it's not turning the tripometer. You might have to give it a little push/pull as you do this to release any loctite that might be in there.

The end of the shaft that you can't see is hollow with threads in its interior. The shaft turns onto a miniscule screw emerging from the trip roller.

Yes, I just replaced a lost reset shaft. ;)

Bob