When they say pull the sump, pull the sump

df2

Okay so I thought I'd get cute and change my oil by using the port hole. Even spent 20 bucks on the tool. Everything goes great until I try to actually get the filter off. Filter wrench just wont fit on it right. No room to get any other tool or your hand on the filter....why make it nearly the same diameter as the filter? so now i just want to put it back together and do the filter next time. Can't get the porthole back on, keep cross threading it, try again and again.... So finally pull the sump. So easy. I can get the porthole to lay flat and thread, Plus I get to really clean it out. Easy to change filter...Moral, just pull the sump.

• Like 1

Okay so I thought I'd get cute and change my oil by using the port hole. Even spent 20 bucks on the tool. Everything goes great until I try to actually get the filter off. Filter wrench just wont fit on it right. No room to get any other tool or your hand on the filter....why make it nearly the same diameter as the filter? so now i just want to put it back together and do the filter next time. Can't get the porthole back on, keep cross threading it, try again and again.... So finally pull the sump. So easy. I can get the porthole to lay flat and thread, Plus I get to really clean it out. Easy to change filter...Moral, just pull the sump.

:thumbsup:

Sorry you found out the hard way, but at least you didn't bugger the threads on the manhole cover. Glad you got it figured out.

did you hose clamp the filter? do a search..

When they say hose-clamp the filter, hose-clamp the filter!

Glad I found out when I did: the filter cartridge fitting apparently has two modes: welded on tight or spin-off loose.

The latter will lose oil pressure...

Do you want to take a chance?

AndyH

did you hose clamp the filter? do a search..

When they say hose-clamp the filter, hose-clamp the filter!

Glad I found out when I did: the filter cartridge fitting apparently has two modes: welded on tight or spin-off loose.

The latter will lose oil pressure...

Do you want to take a chance?

AndyH

Okay, so yes I know all about the hose clamp....what I don't know or can't find is the application of it. Anybody have the instructions? Does it just go on anywhere, in any direction?

Put the hose clamp onto the filter beside a oil pipe so if the filter wanted to back off the screw on the clamp hits the pipe and stops it from turning. (hope this makes sense).

Put the hose clamp onto the filter beside a oil pipe so if the filter wanted to back off the screw on the clamp hits the pipe and stops it from turning. (hope this makes sense).

Total sense.

Thanks