Steering Adjustment - 1100 Sport

Guzzi07

Hi everyone:

I am trying to tighten up the steering head bearings on my 1995 MG 1100 Sport.

The maintenance manual indicates that I need to loosen the allen headed clamp bolt on the upper triple clamp (Number 2 in the diagram below) then loosen the bolt under the cap (number 4 in the diagram below) after which the nut (not shown in the diagram) can be tightened to remove any play in the steering.

The problem is, I cannot remove the cap (number 4 in the diagram). It seems to be a friction fit, but even with the allen headed bolt removed (number 2 in the diagram) I can't remove it. Has anyone done this without removing the whole upper triple clamp?

Thanks,

Jason

Steering.jpg

nr4 is just a fine threaded nut on the triple stem. This nut holds the upper triple clamp. If you loosen nr2, which locks nr4, you must be able to loosen nr4. Maybe it's glued or some rust. It is fine threaded so be careful not to damage.

When nr4 is removed, and the two other nuts which holds the forks are loosened, you can lift the upper triple clamp. Put a jack under the sump and raise the bike a bit for easier reassembling.

When nr4 is tightened, you push the UTC on the stem, on the bearings.

Hi everyone:

Actually the manual (see attached image) does not show a cap, the nut is simply exposed with nothing covering it. I can easily access bolt A and nut C, I just can't get access to nut B as it is covered with a chrome cap (not shown in the maintenance manual or in the parts manual). I assume it is a cap and not the actual nut (without any hex or key hole in it, I don't know how they would have assembled it if it is a nut).

The cap itself is completely smooth, there are no visible key holes etc. Without these holes, I don't know how to get it off. I am wondering if this is some type of accessory to cover the nut itself. I know the bike was first owned by a manager at a Moto Guzzi dealer, so it could be an accessory. The cap shows a few indentations where it looks like someone has tried to remove it before.

I assume that the play cannot be adjusted with nut C without loosening nut B? Does nut B need to be removed to remove the whole top triple clamp?

Thanks,

Jason

SteeringAdjustment.jpg

Hi everyone:

Solved the issue. Had a close look and realised the "cap" was made of two parts, the top part of the cap was removable which then revealed the 8mm allen key nut.

Thanks for the replies.

Jason