Preparations for the winter time

Emil Jensen

As I plan to put my V11 Le Mans away for the winter (actually until next summer!) I would like to know, how I best preparer it for this. I’m of course going to give it a thorough wash and disconnect the battery. But how about the gas tank? Should I fill it up in order to prevent rust? Also I plan to put a little oil into the cylinder heads (through the spark plug hole), is this unnecessary? Is it recommended to change oil before or after the “hibernation”? And what lift is the better, one where the lift is placed under the engine block, or two lifts that lifts up the rear and front tire (I’m thinking it will affect the suspension)?

Are there other things I should be aware of in regards to putting your bike away for a long time?

Thanks in advance!

1: Add fuel stabilizer and fill gas tank with fuel - high grade with NO methanol.

2: Buy a battery tender and keep your battery on the tender all winter.

3: Change the oil before storage. If you decide to run your bike then run the bike for at least ten minutes as it will build up water vapour during short runs. Then you may want to change your oil again in the spring.

4: Oil in cylinders not necessary - especially if you run the bike once a month.

5: A stand is not necessary but handy (a bike stored upright takes up less space). Don't worry about suspension and check your tire pressure in spring.

Lots of other things you can do but fuel stabilizer and battery tender are most important!

Is there any risk of the fuel stabiliser affecting the plastic fuel tank, I appreciate you stated no methanol fuel but wondered what is in the fuel stabiliser. I have only used it in lawn mowers to ensure an easy start at the next mowing season.

Don't use a tender. They're just aging this type of battery, nothing else. You can store a fully charged Hawker for two years and more, the cooler the better.

I don't know about the fuel issues. It's not an issue here, at least not in the forums I know. Besides that, in case you worry about fuel issues, it's probably better to have the tank empty as it's plastic and so not prone to rust. Also an empty one is easier to handle, just in case you're getting bored during winter and then want to check the air filter for instance.

For the combustion chambers you could use 'Fluid Film Liq.A'. http://www.fluid-film.dk/. It's used against sea water with very good results and they recommend it for engine conservation as well. Just in case you can't resist.

BTW, is it really time for hibernation action up there already?

Hubert

Thanks for the advice!

And Hubert no it not time yet, but since I am bringing my Guzzi with me from the US I have to pay approx 10000 US$ in registration-fee - only to get Danish license plates on it (yep, that's Denmark! So instead I'm gonna move to Berlin next summer. Do you by any change know the procedures in regards to getting the bike approve by the Germane authorities and getting germane license plates on it?

/Emil

Don't use a tender. They're just aging this type of battery, nothing else. You can store a fully charged Hawker for two years and more, the cooler the better.

If it is in good shape yes - but some of them are going on 10 years life or more (I have one with 11 years).

I should have elaborated that I put the tender on on once a month for about a day or my older battery won't hold up.

Sorry, no clue about that. I can forward your question to someone who knows it. You won't get the plate for free, but the sum you mentioned is just ridiculous.

hubert

That would be nice - or just a website where I can read something about it if you know of any. I can read some German, so no problem there :)