Magni Fairing - thoughts

Vincez

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I purchased my Magni fairing second-hand (what fun it was riding home with the kit strapped to my back as my V11 was, at the time, my only transportation.) I was able to buy it cheap because the mounting bracket had broken.

After welding the bracket back together (and discovering the hard way I didn't have the entire kit) I installed the fairing.  In my case this was compounded by having to swich not only the headlight mounts but the dash panel and all associated hardware as well. On the test ride I immediately trashed my speedometer cable as the angle drive I didn't know I required was still installed (I presume) on the motorcycle of the gentleman from whom I purchased the kit... My experience with the fairing lasted about another 300 or so miles before the fairing bracket broke again in a different location than the one I repaired.  I removed the whole works and ran the bike naked for a few years.

Now that I have access to my shop again, (I was stationed thousands of miles away when I installed it) I have fabricated a new mount that replicates the original Cafe'/Coppa/Ballabio "stalk" mount and welded the Magni fairing support arms directly to it. It works great.

Oddly enough I have to pull the fairing off the bike tomorrow to install some gauges (converting to electronic speedometer to finally fix the angle/drive / bicycle speedo issue.)  If there's any interest  I can take a photo or two of the modified bracket while it's apart.

For what it's worth, the headstock on my bike has two tubes welded horizontally across the front. The Magni fairing bracket as I received it did not directly bolt to both of them; the top bolt lined up perfectly, but to attach the bracket to the bottom tube I had to make some brackets (at the time I used aluminum angle) to be able to extend the mount on the main bracket about 3/4" or so further down.

My bike is a cafe sport. The change from the stock handlebars on risers to under-the-top-clamp clip-ons is, to say the least, "radical."

Despite my tribulations I love the fairing; all that is left for me to do now is spray it out to match the tail section I have.