How bad is it?........? (Spark and Electrical Smoke)

Jet

So, I reinstalled the battery after removing it for the better part of winter, started the bike and all is well. At this point the seat is still off sooooo then I accidentally drop my screwdriver in the ECU wire bundle area, a bit of a spark, then yellow electrical smoke spews out from somewhere underneath the ECU, (NOT FROM THE ECU HOWEVER).

A Big WTF is being said out loud and in my head as I removed the screwdriver from the area and waved the smoke back and forth, which did stop shortly after....The wire shielding from only one wire  was completely toasted nothing left, but exposed copper wire, I do not know how far back it goes I havent made it that far yet. But it looks like it may go back to a fusebox or the relays. WIll updater soon.

The thing is the wire that is had its shielding completely burnt off, appears to be a ground wire that was grounded on one of the corner nuts of the ECU (the corner closest to the positive battery terminal). Where does it come from? Does this make sense to anyone? It also had a wire that was heat shrink wrapped to it that came from the ECU PLUG this wire was not burn and is still intact.  I decided to come here and maybe get some insight, I cant read an electrical map for the life of me but i can fix most small issues with the tools I have. No fuses were blown, but i cant tell yet about the relays. 

The photo looks worse then it is, there may be a slight burn on a few other wires. but also I have noticed this has bene a trend on this bike, (I re did the wiring for all the electrical for the lights and noticed other burnt wires) 

I hope this made some sense....

rsz_img_4961.jpg

If this was mine, I would take the harness off of the bike either find a new one,

or unwrap the harness check and repair each wire then rewrap.

It does not look good at all.

It's not the first time that happened, I believe that ground wire only goes a few inches in the loom.

As thumper says unwrap the loom as far as the wire goes because it probably shorted one or two others to ground/chassis also.

I think you will be able to follow that wire with the loom in-situ.

You mention other wires burnt in the lighting area. Ground wires can let out the magic smoke if the main battery ground works loose, when you go to start the bike the current seeks an a path back to the battery through any small ground wire such as this regulator ground shows.

fb4cd4fa-6b2c-4fa3-8638-bd35e85e7e00_zps

I just noticed the fat black ground wire to the left doesn't look to be going to the gearbox where it should go.

Not to behind the seat release as mine was but to a decent size bolt.

MagicSmokeSketch_zps3fa12d71.jpg

I'm sure you now have a healthy respect for your innocent looking 12 Volt battery :oldgit:

I sent you a PM

Just another pic to help, with the bigger picture, it may not help at all...

I am open to learning more about my bike and if need be purchasing a new wiring kit off of an online retailer, after a quick look I couldn't find any at MG cycle but I wont stop there. An AME genius friend of mine is coming over in hopes of a nice bottle of rum to help remedy my issue, my underground parking lot is similar to that of a dark cave so it should prove to be fun.....Aviation mechanics work in all sorts of conditions right, should be a breeze......

Thumper, we are going to go as far back as it goes and see where it is, there may be a few other wires affected and if need be will use so high quality connecters and redo as much as necessary, so far it appears if its just that one ground wire affected, and that goes back to who knows where.

Here in Fort McMurray it may still be cold, and currently snowing a touch at the moment, (Most the snow is gone) but the roads have been clear and full of potholes for me to avoid but i was excited to take it out for the weekend. 

Thanks Kiwi, Im giving you a shout right after I make this reply. I should update my profile, I have left beautiful BC....but Ill be back! 

rsz_03-05__2_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaah, You know I did a long drawn out thanks to those who supplied me with the tools to fix this, and now I See I never pressed, "POST". Well, in the end between a friend of mine with amazing Saudering tricks and some shrink wrap, we replaced 7 ground wires, and 2-3 other wires that seemed to get caught in the cross wire. Worked for us cause the bundle was tucked away pretty right under the ECM, so we moved some wires around and now it makes re-attaching the ground wires to the battery much easier. 

Really, I fused 7 ground wires int one big one. As Kiwi_Roy said, it really makes you appreciate a cute little 12V battery.....Thanks Kiwi for the drawing.....now onto fix my kickstand.......AND Casing Flange.