Oil gunk bottom of barrels

GraeV11

Some minutes have passed since the last oil thread so thought I would start another . . . I was washing the winter gunk off the beast today and found some sticky oil residue at the base of the barrels (both barrels in the same place). It looks worse than it is in the pictures as I spread it around a little investigating. It is old and sticky so this is more of an ooze than a weep or a leak (getting technical now). I am inclined to leave it be but would be interested in the opinion of you guys. I am assuming this is gasket territory and there is not a crusty old 'O' ring in there to worry about ? I am going to do valve clearances next week, should I consider a re-torque too ?

guzz leak.jpg

Sorry, I am of no help here, but, did you repaint your engine casing? If So, Which paint did you use? Please and thanks......

Sorry for the Hijack. Good luck though! 

Rich

Sorry, I am of no help here, but, did you repaint your engine casing? If So, Which paint did you use? Please and thanks......

Sorry for the Hijack. Good luck though! 

Rich

Hi

No I have not repainted my engine cases. I seem to have been lucky in that most of the crinkle finish on my 2002 V11 has stayed in place, even in the face of the rock salt that we spread all over the roads here in the UK at the slightest hint of frost.

There is a thread on here somewhere with regards to the best paint to use. I seem to recall someone recommended Harley paint . . . although it may make your bike go slower  :lol:

Lots of similar on mine also - but just on left side - probably from base gasket but I don't worry about it. Doesn't take much of a weep to make things look dirty. If it were dripping I'd be more concerned.

Yes re re-torque of the heads as part of the valve job.

Gio

• Like 1