breakdown 'what to do'

rossi46

so gents off on my pilgrimage to Mandello in a little over a month I'm armed with the tools and spares from the 'fix it on the road' thread and  I need to pick your brains in case the worst happens, before 'phoning the tow truck!! for instant bike turns over but won't start? what to check? etc any tips advice most welcome

• Like 1

Check for Voltage at the petcock fuse, it's connected immediately before the ECU relay, if you get power to that point chances are the bike will run. I often suggest to wire a little lamp there.

Strap the petcock wires to the body with a ty-wrap so they won't break off

Take a last look at the wires on the ignition switch, they are known to break off and wouldn't be easy to fix on the road.

Remove the alternator cover and check where the wires are soldered to the stator.

Check the 30 Amp fuse for any sign of overheating.

Remember, if the headlight / tacho is not operating chances are it's not charging, Don't think you will save power by unplugging the headlight fuse or relay, that only makes it worse, unplug the headlight below the bucket.

Learn how to bypass the start relay and get the starter to crank.

Figure out how to get a message on here, Tapatalk is good

Most of all have a great trip, write home (to V11Lemans)

Say hello to Luigi.

Rossi-If the engine will turn over but wont start it can only be two things, 1- no sparkie, electrical, or, 2- no chianti (gas).  I always carry a spare set of spark plugs.  Take your old plugs out, re-insert them into the plug leads and rest it securely against the cylinder head. Push the starter button and see if the plug is sparking. Do the same on the other cylinder.  If the plugs are all wet, black and sooty, an indication it was getting gas, they may just be fouled.  Try the new set of plugs against the cylinder heads.  If your getting spark that pretty much eliminates an ignition problem that you can deal with on the roadside.  Just install the new plugs and it should start.  If no spark with the new plugs, you may have a dead coil or relay.  If your lucky just a loose wire somewhere which will probably be  up under the tank, probably where you cant get to it without disassembling half the bike on the side of the road.  

If your plugs were dry and getting spark, next step is check for fuel delivery.  Here is  very good suggestion, DONT BE SMOKING DURING THIS STEP!!!  I would start at the injector or throttle body, somewhere that is easy to get too, disconnect the fuel line and once again, turn the ignition on and see if your getting gas to the T/B.  If you can hear the fuel pump but aren't getting gas to the throttle body, check the wires to the petcock. The electrical petcocks are known to fail and many have been replaced with manual units.  If the fuel pump isn't coming on start checking your fuses and relays.  Occasionally something like a crank position sensor might go bad but if its getting spark and gas, it will probably start.  I would go thru these steps along with what Kiwi Roy posted before resorting tot he dreaded phone call for help.    Docc has a great thread here somewhere on the assortment of paraphernalia he carries whenever he leaves home.  Tell Luigi and the boys we said hi.

Jerry

wow some great advice many thanks, 30 amp fuse is now redundant-maxi fuse- I have a manual petcock and a spare tdc sensor!it was only £30 so I thought it wise to have, I recently inspected the alternator wires and all looked good! how is the start relay bypassed?

The start relay can be bypassed by inserting a wire into the socket 87 (stars ding on left side of bike, 30 is furtherest away 87 is the other large one in the middle. Touch the other end of wire to battery positive and it wi crank.

Unless you have power to the petcock fuse it won't fire. You don't have an electric. Cock but I'm sure the fuse is still there doing nothing, wire a small LED to it and mount under the seat, trust me, you'll wonder how you did without it.

Sent from my shoe phone!

• Like 1