Odometer Kaput

GraeV11

I know we have all been here many times, but just for the record . . . Fixed a new odometer gear last year (gearbox end) and all was fine for a few hundred miles, then speedo was 'jumpy' and then stopped. I think that it was not fully seated in the spindle within the gearbox (when I pulled it there were two pieces in the spindle, the first almost certainly from the original, der). It must have twisted then snapped. The shaft was seized within the mechanism, certainly heavily scored. see exploded view. I claim my ham-fisted mechanic point.

spindle 1.jpg

spindle 2.jpg

You might want to verify the routing of your speedo cable.  I was surprised to find that I could not "tug" my cable to and fro from either end of the cable.  

After digging in, I found an "S" type bend and firmly tie-wrapped under the left coil.  Now I have said cable routed straight, relaxed, and no more jumping needle!

Stick

Looks like it's time to get a Speedhut speedo with either GPS, or the magnetic kind, therefore bypassing the gear in the tranny.
By chance, did you install the same year gear in the tranny end when you fixed this? The gears are different in the 1999-2001 models and the 2002-2006 models. 

FWIW, Gutsibits has an extra gear for the 1999-2001 models in stock.

Ken

You might want to verify the routing of your speedo cable.  I was surprised to find that I could not "tug" my cable to and fro from either end of the cable.  

After digging in, I found an "S" type bend and firmly tie-wrapped under the left coil.  Now I have said cable routed straight, relaxed, and no more jumping needle!

Stick

Thanks for your reply. I am fairly happy with the routing of my cable, it is though probably not as well lubed as it might have been. One I missed off my annual maintenance list. Need to raise my game a bit.

Looks like it's time to get a Speedhut speedo with either GPS, or the magnetic kind, therefore bypassing the gear in the tranny.

By chance, did you install the same year gear in the tranny end when you fixed this? The gears are different in the 1999-2001 models and the 2002-2006 models. 

FWIW, Gutsibits has an extra gear for the 1999-2001 models in stock.

Ken

Thanks for your reply. I guess a new speedo type might be the way to go, it seems an inevitability.

I am fairly sure I got the right part. My bike is an 02 registered in 03 and was subject to the end of line parts / new parts mash up. I ordered from Stein Dinse and they specified this part for my bike and they are invariably correct on this stuff. The only alternative I can see comes with a bracket with two holes that I cant use ? You have me worried now.