I'm Freaking out

staedtler

Hi everyone.

So yesterday around 2 pm i took delivery of a new 2003 carryover from a dealer in los angeles, actually orange county. it got shipped here to San Antonio.

so anyway, everything is ok, i ride it from the drop point ( my office) to my house (which is two blocks) put it in the garage cal some buddies to come check it out so i oviously start the bike so they can hear it. ( i'm not riding it because later that day started raining)

well, about the third time i try to start it it has some sort of electrical deal going on

and the pannel lights are blinking like an old neon sign and i hear this swoosh right when i'm engaging the starter, this sound happens when the starter button is flipped.

so please help. this is my first italian bike

i can't belive this is happening to me! (even though i read about it all the time)

And just so I know...PDI means?

Pre Delivery Inspecton, you know checking the fluids, making sure the battery is charged & the alternator is working etc. there's a check list you have to sign off on.Some dealers charge for this :huh2: It's in the best interest for dealer & buyer alike. If you paid for this , then you have the right to expect it to be done. everybody is human & sometimes we make mistakes. but a lot of dealers dont bother, they already have your $$$$

Guest MotoMessiah

I'm curious about this as the dealer I believe he bought from (ok, I'm assuming as I don't want to name names) does have a reputation for selling quite a few of the left over 2003's.

BTW..It sounds like a relay to me. ^_^

Guest WildJackal

You bought the bike from the Orange County dealer and had it shipped to you ... been there done that. I think they do a good job of setting the bike up, I didn't have any problems. You were able start the bike and ride it home ... so it sounds like some kind of early life failure or just basic user error.

When you turn the key on you should hear the swoosh of the fuel pump. Give it some choke (actually just throttle) and hit the starter button. Go easy on the starter ... if it doesn't start immediately, give it a 5 count before you try again.

You say flip the starter button ... I hope you are not hitting the kill switch (the red button). Make sure this one is not depressed.

Note, you should have the bike in neutral and the clutch in. Don't forget to flick the side stand up before you put it in gear. The engine is killed if you put it in gear with the stand down.

I don't know about the blinking lights thing. Maybe some kind of diagnostic and your bike is broke. If you have a local dealer it might be time to call him.

:ninja: Hi there everybody...

yes, yes, USER ERROR rookie messed up.

i leave the key on the wrong possition and drained the battery

(yes i know).

so i charged the battery and yesterday went for a ride...

what a beautiful bike! the thing is just perfect, i'm just enamored.

it looks goog it sounds good it feels good what can i say.

thanks y'all and i keep you posted. got to take the baby for a spin.

Guest ksann

I know a lot of people bash on that dealer, but I bought mine there last Saturday (5/1), and got a leak in the tire. Very possibly on my ride Sunday. They replaced the tire, and even moved my bike to the first in line when I got there yesterday.

They really took good care of me. I am satisfied.

Glad to hear that your experience was positive.

Now get out there and put some miles on it. I have put over 700 in three days of riding (day after I bought it i put on 340).

ken