front end

Guest warsaw

Guest warsaw

Hi V11s

Just realised I should have used this section for my question regarding the front end handling of my rosso mandello. My previous bikes BMW/Ducati have had precise steering. My rosso feels vague and a little lively. Any suggestions. The bike came fitted with Michelin Pilot tyres.

WARSAW

Warsaw, try loosening your steering damper to nothing. I've also found my bike to be very particular about tire pressure. If still twitchy, I have seen it recommended in a couple of posts that you raise the fork tubes 3/8-1/2 inch in the triple trees (effectively lowering the front end by that amount), which slows the steering from being so touchy...but have not had to try this yet (although every so slightly slower steering would not be a bad thing for me). I also found in my case, that part of the high speed twitchiness was caused by holding my arms too rigid and/or "stiff arming" the beast.

If still twitchy, I have seen it recommended in a couple of posts that you raise the fork tubes 3/8-1/2 inch in the triple trees (effectively lowering the front end by that amount), which slows the steering from being so touchy.

There was a lot of talk about the nervous feeling in the front end,especialy at high speed on the early models. I believe Racer X was one of the first people to suggest raising the forks. I waited about 3 months before trying this & then went 3/8 & was extremely pleased with this set up. :thumbsup: YMMV

http://www.guzzitech.com/V11SportWobble-Todd_E.html

Guest Brian Robson

I'm with Tx on this, and weirdly, on many others as well.

I raised the forks 2mm and also added 1cm of preload at the back. This weights the front and improves the handling and turning. It also has the interesting benefit of the front tyre wearing at an earlier time than the back.

I suggest just loosening the damper and riding it. My o3 le mans seemed very lively and nervous in turns - I was thinking like a very weird feeling going into turns carrying any speed. I had zero confidence in what the thing would do! This was not like my other bikes: VTR's, R6's, even XJ600. I rode the goose- now it has 7k on it and ALL the weirdness in turns appears to be gone. Strange. Part of it was me learning how to control the throttle (exactly where to cut off and where to crank on) and part was learning what to feel/watch/listen for from the front end in corners. I'd keep riding it with as little "fixes" as is reasonable. It will improve vastly :bier:

Guest warsaw

Hi North America

Thanks for the suggestions. I guessed it was just a case of riding it with a different sensitivity. Although I had tightened up the damper a bit. I'll loosen it off and just put in the miles.

Warsaw