speedo cables

Guest rons

Thanks for all of the cable input. My 03 Rosso's cable quit at 5,000 miles right at the bend and I don't want to spend the coming years replacing speedo cables.

Once the cable breaks, does the spinning broken end ruin the housing (common sense would say yes)? If not, the inside wire is cheap but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to square the ends if you just buy cable and cut it.

Finally, is there any preferred lube? I see that Teflon products get mentioned.

BTW although this is still a warranty item, the time and expense of getting to my dealer (190 miles round trip) and then finding that the cable is on order isn't worth the cost of buying a new cable - but it's still one of the neatest motorcycles I have ever owned! :angry::D

As soon as my back- ordered speedo cable shows up at the dealer I think I'll attempt to take some of the bend out of the existing one :luigi: . What a great solution to the problem, why couldn't the engineers at Guzzi have come up with this design in the first place? :homer: My thanks to the riders who figured this one out :bier:

Guest aj howard

my 03 Rosso broke the cable at 4,000 mi in late July, and I am still waiting for a cable, I think I will bend the angle up a bit as well to relive the problem

Stay tuned. I just finished straightening out the cable end and I replaced the inner cable using an auto parts universal kit. The sheath was well oiled and the cable coated with lithium grease. :(

If it works I'll keep the new replacement as a spare (if it arrives). If it doesn't work I'm buying a Ducati ST3. :D:D

• 1 month later...