frustration venting

Steve G.

I'm sorry guys, I know this topic has been worked over real good, but I just have to rant a bit.

I've been trying to get grease into the front universal joint for 2 days now. I've got my Lubrimatic grease gun, my 8" rubber hose, and my 180 deg coupler [had to drive to Bellingham WA. to get it]. I've got the zerk fitting pointing straight up on the drive shaft, and It just seems to be too close to the front part of the drive shaft body, not allowing the grease attachement to go over top.

I guess I'll try grinding away some of the grease gun end to clear the drive shaft. I hope I don't end up having to pull the whole drive shaft off the end of the gearbox.

I thought I was mechanically inclined, I've managed to completely restore 4 bikes, and haven't had this kind of cheesed off mood.

Ciao, Steve G.

I used to grease mine on my V11S by removing the rear wheel, drive and swing arm and then you can rotate the driveshaft upwards under the fender to fully expose the grease fitting underneath. Simple then to plug in and inject some #2 Lithium grease.

If your grease gun fitting is too large, you can grind a little off the OD. I had to do that to one tip to fit a fitting on one machine I used to own.

A grease injecting needle that you can press into the fitting works well too. After I got one of them, I could grease everything without tearing out the swing arm anymore!

But still, removing, greasing and re-installing everything only took an hour. MUCH simpler than on a Tonti framed Guzzi!