Polished valve covers

Guest robbrugg

Guest robbrugg

So since the moving company scratched my covers, I've decided to polish em. Where do I go for this? And should I have spare gaskets ready when I pop off the covers, or should I just "be careful"?

Guest motomaniac

I don't know about polishing the covers, and I'm sure others might say to replace the gaskets when you do this, but, I just pulled my covers to adjust the valves, and I was "careful", and I put the covers right back on, so far no problems. :bike:

So since the moving company scratched my covers, I've decided to polish em. Where do I go for this? And should I have spare gaskets ready when I pop off the covers, or should I just "be careful"?

34428[/snapback]

Drive 30 miles east to Eloy, get off at the 208 exit. There you will find the T/A truckstop. Drive to the back parking lot along side of the truck wash & you will see several groups of people polishing aluminum wheels & fuel tanks. You can probably get them done for $5 bucks a piece in less than an hour . There's a Pizza Hut right next door too. Don't go there in your Rolls Royce & your Armani unless you trying to impress the truckdrivers :grin:

Your Harley shops know where the polishing shops are although they will be more expensive. Once the covers are polished they will need to be either clear coated or plated. Anodize does not work well with cast parts. You might think about chrome plate. The HD friendly polishing shops can recommend platers. My covers had to be copper plated and then nickel plated before the gold was plated on.

There is another thread somewhere here about silicone gaskets available.

I had mine done by Orrin also. I had some pretty nasty road rash that buffed out completly. Orrin is the man :luigi:

I had the head gaurds done too. 2 covers, 2 gaurds 1 week turn around less than 100 with shipping/insurance. It worked out about the same as it would have cost for 1 new cover.

Unfortunatly I don't live close to a truck stop where the Tx sez they can do this stuff very cheaply but I'm happy and they look great and not bad to maintain (so far) :unsure:

Guest robbrugg

(I'm afraid of truck stops now)

ANYWAY - I'm thinking about just buying a buffer/polisher. Anyone have any ideas of a good/but-not-too-expensive tool?