Friggin' clutch switch

Guest motomaniac

Guest motomaniac

I know I've seen a post on here about this clutch switch, I'm just to frustrated to hunt it right now. :angry:

I start to leave for lunch, and guess what. Press the magic button, and nothing happens.

I had to use a paper clip to bypass it, I guess that's just one more tool for my pouch.

Has anyone done anything to permanently fix this?

Guest jerroldt

After I dumped my bike (described in a previous post) because of the sidestand safety switch, I eliminated both the sidestand actuator button and the clutch safety switch. My bike is fairly new so I unscrewed the cluctch switch, taped it up to make it waterproof and quickstrapped it and tucked it underneath the fairing. If I had an older bike, I would get a wiring diagram, solder the 2 essential leads together and tape the whole thing up. These micro switches don't look to me like they will handle much rain etc. and are probably not watertight. IMHO they are a real detriment especially if you have another bike/bikes with traditional controls. I know all about product liability but common sense and experience has count for something. Harley seems to be leading sales in the US and they have gotten by without these switches. If they did supply them, I am sure they they would be sealed and watertight.

Yep,

Been there myself. :homer: You need to raise the fuel tank up (a 2 by 4 works well under the fuel tank to help prop it up) and trace the clutch switch wire harness to the connector. This will be about where the coils are mounted. Clip the two wires on the main harness side (I hate connections) and strip the insulation 1/2 inch. off the ends and either solder or use a crimp connector to connect the two wires together.

I have also done this to my sidestand switch.

Have fun,

Mike

Yeah, after having the bike completely apart for ten months, I got it back together and it simply would not start. Duhhhhhh....... pull in the clutch dufus. Despite all of that, I've left it in place as it helps restore my humility.

Guest rrbasso

It was one of the first things i did, with the help of Mike we got rid of both the cluch and side stand cut off's . Much happer now. :helmet:

Guest motomaniac

It's a relay type switch on the interior side of the clutch lever mount. You'll see two wires that run out of it, down the handlebars and under the tank. It tells the engine not to make a move until the clutch lever is pulled in.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't work, thus this thread.

It's a relay type switch on the interior side of the clutch lever mount.  You'll see two wires that run out of it, down the handlebars and under the tank.  It tells the engine not to make a move until the clutch lever is pulled in.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't work, thus this thread.

34808[/snapback]

Now I'm really confused. If you pull in the clutch, you disengage the engine -- and this makes the bike move?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but my bike doesn't have this and I'm trying to figure this out.

Now I'm really confused. If you pull in the clutch, you disengage the engine -- and this makes the bike move?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but my bike doesn't have this and I'm trying to figure this out.

The starter motor will not activate unless the clutch is pulled in

I always pull the clutch in anyway on starting engine , it reduces the number of bits of engine/gearbox that you are turning over reducing drag.

there is the theoretical disadvantage that with an engine that wont fire, and stuck in a position where you cant push, you won't be able to move it on the starter

ie out of fuel and want to bump it up a kerb so the dregs drian to the petlock to get one more float bowl worth of distance :P