Leather bargains

dbdicker

In planning for my w'end trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway starting t'nite (good weather forcasted, woohoo!!), I've been searching for a nice pair of leather motorcycle pants. Previously, I'd been a jeans-wearing rider 'cuz I liked the comfort and have found the leathers look a bit........well.............young and affected, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I figured that my skin is worth more these days than it used to be, and, at least for touring and all day rides, I'd bite the bullet and offend some people and wear some leather pants. Checking around, I found that the big name makers (Alpinestars, Dainese, Vanson) all offered products that seemed mighty expensive for a pair of pants. Most ranged from the mid $200 level to well over $400 bucks!!!

Came across this guy on Ebay and saw his offering of "V-pilot" leather pants for $100 and thought it might be worth a shot. I know, I know........"Leather Paradise" sounds like an outlet for x-rated lingerie. However, I got the pants yesterday and boy, am I impressed!! Double stitched in all the right areas, fully lined, solid 1.3mm leather and with strong-looking zippers at the ankles and expansion sections on the back and sides. Unbelievable quality for the money, if you ask me. If his leather jackets and race suits are as good, his stuff represents a major bargain over the 'brand name' manufacturers out there. I'm so impressed with his pants, I put my (slightly worn) Alpinestars mega-buck vented jacket up for sale on Ebay and will buy his matching jacket with the profit and bank the extra..............

Is it possible that this guy buys from the same sources as the big names? (all this stuff seems to be made in Pakistan anyway) I know that Vanson is American made, but clearly there is a lot of slippage from race endorsements and advertising, as there is for all the other brand names of products out there. In any event, thought I'd let you know about the find and would like to hear an endorsement of the product. No relationship to the provider, of course.

Now, on to Virginia!!!!!!!!! (drool, drool) :bike::grin::bike:

Dan

Guest callithrix

Looks like he bought closeouts surplus of the now defunct Hein Gericke brand of leathers, Fisrt Gear seems to have taken over the brand. HG use to be german made and was a brand of choice in the 80's. I remember the V Pilot being top of the line, their leather quality was exceptional. The pakistan manufactoring is typical cost reduction out sourcing. I'll miss Hein gericke they catered more to traditional and functional types and not flashy joe rocket graphics. But as you see you can pick up some excellent bargains on good riding gear. :food:

I've had Firstgear V pilot jacket and matching zip together leather for 10 yrs now. Good enough stuff, except the plastic zippers needed to be changed in all the critical places to steel after about 6yrs. For the price they are asking, an exceptional deal.

Talking to my local Vanson guy, talking about their stuff. Yup, it is very nice, but the price? He mentioned that the leather tanners at Vanson [in house] get paid over $27us hr. No wonder the stuff is so dear.

Ciao, Steve G.

Talking to my local Vanson guy, talking about their stuff. Yup, it is very nice, but the price? He mentioned that the leather tanners at Vanson [in house] get paid over $27us hr. No wonder the stuff is so dear.

Have you ever been anywhere *near* a tannery? You'd want hazardous duty pay too, if you had to live with that stench! Wheeuughh!

:vomit: