Battery

antonio carroccio

And these gel cell or dry cell batteries should be charged and maintained as per the manufacturerers spec. For example, my new Oddysey battery specifically mentions NOT to put it on a trickle charger, especially during the winter. It will last at least 8 months before needing a charge.

Ciao, Steve G.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Antonio

To test the battery, its not enough to just measure the voltage.    My dealer connected the battery to a deep charger (ie. 6 amps or greater) fully charged it, and then did a load test.    It passed the test ok, but was dead two days later.

Second, it is really easy to test the charging system on your bike, per my original post,  or what Helicopter Jim says in the above post.

Third, I thought gel batteries were what came stock in the V11.  Regardless, my dealer replaced my battery with a new Wesco gel battery.    Apparently you don't need a charger with the new gel batteries, although I have a BMW gel trickle charger that I bought for my old one...  just in case.

Good Luck

Tim

36279[/snapback]

Did you also take a look at the dynamo? Did this think charge your battery?

Antonio.

Sorry.. I should have made that a little clearer

A battery should be about 12.5 volts on its own.. disconnected or connected w/ engine off

When the engine is running, the system will put about 13.5 volts into the battery

Therefore, if you measure 13.5 volts (or so) you at least know that the charging system works.

If you measure 13.5 volts, and your battery is constantly dead then you know the battery is not taking the charge, and should either be:

1) Load tested at a motorcycle or auto shop

2) Thrown out and replaced with new (preferred solution)

Cheers, Tim

I measured the following voltages over the w/e (intermittent charging light was NOT illuminated at the time) for info :

Pre-start = 12.6V

At idle = 12.1V

At 2000 rpm = 15.1V

Hope this helps,

Gio

Antonio

I was lucky.. The warranty on the battery is 6 months, and I first reported a possible problem right at the 6 month limit. When the dealer and I finally decided the battery was dead it was into the 7th month, but he replaced it free of charge anyway..

He replaced it with a Wesco gel battery. The service guys at my dealer are great.

Cheers, Tim

Antonio! Have you measured the voltage across the terminals with your <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=battery&v=56">battery</a> installed and the engine running?

36345[/snapback]

HI there,

My scura is having the same problem sometimes the battery/charge light comes on at low revs.. my older v11 sport did the same in the last few months of ownership... back then i had the question still have it now.. should i be worried and check all connections because my gues is that it's just a loose connection of some kind and if i don't stand still for to long it wont cause a problem right???

For charging the gel battery's at TLM they adviced me not to charge the battery at al just riding the bike is enough (yes even through winter 4 months should not be a problem for these things!! love that!)

Ciao

jasper