repairing a radiator!

rossojoj

as there is no real-time forum or searchable history of mail on the Triumph Sprint ST list (yes, they really are unreliable like the 60s bikes!), I thought I would ask for expertise here, as so many riders probably have a water-cooled bike in the garage soemwhere....

Due to the crappy design of the frame on the Sprint ST it stresses the radiator which eventually developes small cracks. Of course this usually happens well after 24 months by which time Triumph don't honour the guarantee any more. Mine started at 35,000km, with 5 yrs of age.

Is there anyway to repair a water radiator off a bike? What do people recommend? A new one costs 1000 euro just for parts. I am loathe to put more cash the way of Triumph after my 3rd machine from them has let me down again (all bought brand-new).

Any help v. much appreciated. If anyone knows of someone in Germany who they would recommend to do such a repair that would be fine too. :luigi:

Jonathan

Radiator shops are an abundant commodity here in the States. I had a Convert years ago and the repairs done to the transmission fluid cooler by the bike shop would predictibly fail every 6 months. I finally took it to a rediator shop and the fix stayed fixed.

Unless your radiator has a bunch of plastic that's where I would suggest taking it. They may even be able to pull a ccompatible one out of their catalogs. :thumbsup:

Guest Brian Robson

I had several newer Triumphs and when things went awry with the cooling system, I used a breakers. The fan and motor are Japanese (Nissen) and you can find a similar radiator usually with similar mounts. All you might have to do is re route some hoses. As Triumph are notorious for the quality, or lack of, of the jubilee clips, you can replace them with nice SS ones. :luigi::luigi: