Roaddyno

JuhaV

Hi there !

Take a look at http://www.veypor.com/

That seems to be a kind of a "road dyno" to make performance measurements by yourself without taking the bike to a dyno center. Even if one propably cannot expect fully accurate absolute rear wheel power measurements, that might be a good tool to make comparisons between any engine and/or fuel map modifications. Unfortenately, lambda-sensor input is missing, so mixture adjustments need to be performed using the well-known trial-and-error method.

Any experience among guzzi people about that gadget ?

br, JuhaV

Take a look at http://www.veypor.com/

That seems to be a kind of a "road dyno" to make performance measurements by yourself without taking the bike to a dyno center.

Better bet is the Dynojet's WideBand Commander... they are not necessarily being "made for bikes" just yet, but a big handful of guys are using them on their bikes (mainly racers).

However, you still need a dyno to accurately dial your bike in.

Todd@GuzziTech.com

I have a MY15M ordered and it seems to me that Power Commander could have had all this high tech stuff a long time ago. Why didn't they?

Because they have been focusing on a "sale-able" product that appeals to, and is easily useable by the motorcycling masses (NOT Guzzi, for sure).

The WidebandCommander is for the auto market. They do not (yet) make a PCIII for cars... though I do know a couple employees that are using the PCIII on their cars.

There's good reason that Dynojet was bought last year for $45 mil... and the fact that the Top 5 AMA Superbike teams used their product(s) this year.

I'm sure 'ol Cliff is worth millions marketing his My15/16m to Guzzi folks, right Cliff?

Good luck with everything.

Carl A, how're you making out with the Cliff's computer?

Todd

"road dyno"
?

Ya, I got one.. its called my ass.

It lets me know how well my bikes running.

If I don't like the results I can stick my head up it.. Can you do that with your dyno ?

If you don't like the results you can kiss it... can you do that with your dyno?

And man, I've got some gas that you don't want to come anywhere near close enough to analyse..

Respectfully Yours, Tim

Sorry.. I'm heading to Dallas for a couple of days tomorrow and was just practicing my dialog... how'd I do Tx ? Will they spot me as a foreigner ?

I am also ordering a VEYPOR unit! Much fun to come!

I don't see much value in this unit. Am I missing something or is this thing just giving some graphs based on acceleration. You could always datalog M15M to get this sort of data for analysis.

I'd suggest getting a good wideband O2 sensor instead and running My15M closed loop.

That widebandcommander looks like a nice fideling unit, if you have blue lights, what's next, I can see a market for this. What I can't find, is how long the time is that it can record data, nor what the time is between datasamples. What it displays isn't a Lamba value? What is it then?

?

Ya, I got one..  its called my ass.

Sorry..  I'm heading to Dallas for a couple of days tomorrow and was just practicing my dialog...  how'd I do Tx ?  Will they spot me as a foreigner ?

36140[/snapback]

The words are all right, just keep practicing the drawl.

J

Hi,

There seems to be at least the following items related to this discussion :

a. the dynamometer (to measure rear wheel power, inertia or brake type)

b. the lambda-meter (to measure the A/F ratio and included in the dyno, or in a Wideband Commander, or in a closed-looped ECU system)

c. an adjustable fuel injection system (having ECU + Powercommander, or having My16M/My15M, or having Ultimap or some other way to adjust the map)

To fine tune your bike you will more or less need to have all those items a, b and c.

What confuses me here is that according to my understanding most of the dynos out there are inertia type dynos. These are more or less "accelerometers" that allow to measure the rwp and torque during a full throttle acceleration. This kind of dyno "simulates" the real life situation when a bike is accelerated from idle to red line with throttle wide open.

The other type of dynos are brake dynos that allow the bike to be kept under certain steady state load and rpm conditions. Changing the load and rpm one can check different parts of the map.

The question is : How do you actually check the partial load and throttle conditions using an inertia dyno ? These conditions would be those normally applicable during normal riding situations. In dynojet dynos, do they make several accelerations with different throttle settings ? What is usually shown, are only those curves where throttle has been wide open -> max. power & torque

It seems that in an inertia dyno two bikes could actually produce quite similar hp and torque curves, but in real life the seat-of-the pants driving sensation could be very much different.

Some stuff regarding dynos can be found from http://home.iprimus.com.au/stevebm/Dyno_Info.htm

Please, those familiar working with dynos, share some light to this subject.

br, JuhaV

Al, looks like you have a concurrent.

This Juha  :luigi: talks like he knows what he is talking about…. This is gonna be a long winter with a lot of technical speeches. I hope al this makes sense :grin:

36165[/snapback]

And Juha gets snowed in for six months also

Snow sucks! It only rains most of the winter here!

I talked to some friends who have tried a type of accelerometer dyno on their cars. They say that the numbers don't correspond to real dyno numbers and the quarter mile results are a little off but they do use it for comparison numbers to show modification changes. Thay paid $700 Cdn for thairs and don't feel it is worth that much but it is useful for backyard modifications and they must be backed up with real dyno testing.