oil filters

Guest goldgooz

Guest goldgooz

In the Wildguzzi tips section they list the Mobil 1 oil filter( M1-102) fitting our V11s. Has anyone used this filter? Advanced Auto here in Ky. stocks the filter and list it for a Toyota 22re. The filters are very well made( I've used them on my cars) and cheaper than the stock UFI, but will a filter designed for a Toyota peform well on a Guzzi? What do you think?? :huh2: John B

Guest goldgooz

Thanks Terry, sounds like a strong recommation! Hey Clay, you enjoying your new Lemans? We need to get together and ride. Ping me at goldgooz @ hotmail.com or call me .... 535-5582 John B

Hey John.

I'm loving the LeMans.

Haven't been able to spend as much time on it as I'd like though.

Between crappy weather, crazy work hours, and a nail in the rear tire at 650 miles, I've only been able to put on 875 miles the month I've had it.

Not too bad I guess.

I'll shoot ya an e-mail sometime.

and a nail in the rear tire at 650 miles.

How did the tire change go? No surprises? Have you ordered your Kharma bell yet?

We went for a ride yesterday with some Beemer guys. One of them picked up a screw. You guessed it. No Kharme bell. We were talking about that the rest of the trip.

Getting the wheel off was pretty straight forward, no problems once I found the tools. I don't have any tire changing equipment (yet) so i had the local honda dealer do it.

Haven't ordered the bell yet, I need to get on that.

In the Wildguzzi tips section they list the Mobil 1 oil filter( M1-102) fitting our V11s. Has anyone used this filter? Advanced Auto here in Ky. stocks the filter and list it  for a Toyota 22re. The filters are very well made( I've used them on my cars) and cheaper than the stock UFI, but will a filter designed for a Toyota peform well on a Guzzi? What do you think??  :huh2:  John B

36371[/snapback]

I personally wouldn't want to use a filter recommended for a cast-iron block car engine on a motorcycle [aluminium] engine, but most of the modern import car engines are derivative of motorcycle engine designs, ie: multi-valve, aluminum block-pistons-cylinders, etc. The filtration requirements are accordingly [a pun! :grin: ] similar...

I wouldn't waste the money on Mobil 1's filter, since it is likely built under contract for them by one of the big 3 or 4 filter makers anyway. Go to Pep Boys, look for a Purolator motorcycle filter [i think Guzzis are mf-011?] & install. Done!

:sun:

OK, what about filters with backflow valves vs. filters without backflow valves?

My guess is that it doesn't matter much, since the filter is always full and under oil, but does a valved oil filter prevent (slow down?) oil from flowing into the pan from the heads/crank bearing/etc?

J