Im starting to worry!

dukdark750

Went out for what maybe last ride of season yesterday! everythign was great until about 150 mile out!!!! I start noticing that it is hard to engage fourth gear! adn a few more miles down the road I starts popping out of fourth gear when I initially shift?????Then thoughts go through my head about what the recall paper said...may cause injury or death!!!!!! great .....previous owner had the rod and trans recall done...could this be related???? well to top it off...I stop at the pub close to home go in for a pint....come out push start button and bam fires right up!!!! smile ride off...then notice my highbeam indicator is not working nor the horn..or brake light or front headlight.?????get home...check fuses ok switch relays around..nothing...bike still started everytime....until the last time....now it won;t start at all>>>I'm starting to understand why I got this bike so cheap!!!!!!!!I guess i should pull the tank off and check alll the connections under there!! any other ideas for either of these problems? thanks Brian

Hi Brian,

Check the left switch cluster first. I've had one go bad on me resulting in no headlight. Sounds similar to yours. Can't say about the brake light.

Also, check the clutch failsafe switch. That could cause the bike not to start. Or the sidestand switch...that one too.

Does the bike turn over, but not start? Or does the starter even engage?

Jason

Hi Brian,

Check the left switch cluster first.  I've had one go bad on me resulting in no headlight.  Sounds similar to yours.  Can't say about the brake light.

Also, check the clutch failsafe switch.  That could cause the bike not to start.  Or the sidestand switch...that one too.

Does the bike turn over, but not start?  Or does the starter even engage?

Jason

36904[/snapback]

BIke does not start at all....but it did start when the headlilght was out..so the starting maybe a completely different problem...after reading through it think it might be the clutch switch---man i've only had this bike three weeks and it's giving me all sorts of problems!!!!! thanks for your help Brian

Hi Brian;

A little more detail on both conditions may be helpful.

First the electrical;

1) When you turn the key on you should hear a wiring noise as the fuel pump pressurizes the system. The head light should be on and bright.

2) When you push the starter button the head light should dip ( while you are holding it in ) and the starter motor should crank easily with no symptoms of distress. If the battery is dead or dying you may hear a click but no cranking or it may crank once or twice, then no more.

From your description I'd look to see if the battery is dying or not getting enough power from the alternator. Some times a poor ground will cause a collection of seemingly unrelated electrical gremlins. As has been mentioned before; 90% of all electrical failures are due to poor contact.

On to the transmission.

Is the condition related to up shifts or down shifts or both? My transmission shifts so easily that just a little nudge gets it done. As I get tired and apparently a bit sloppy I start missing occasionally and need to be a bit more deliberate with it. Hopefully this is the case with you as well.

Good luck with it and hang in there.

Bruce

Brian,

I have had similar difficuly getting the bike to shift from 2nd into 3rd when pulling away hard (its OK if you go slow - but whats the point in that !) - it doesnt drop out of gear (at least not yet !) like yours but occassionaly the gearchange will stick down and eventually pings back against the sole of my boot. It may be an entirely different problem - my bike has been back twice already and is waiting for its 3rd return visit to the dealers. The first time they cleaned the rollers and the 2nd time they adjusted the cam - after getting back the second time it is definitely more postivie shifting into every gear but it still locks under hard acceleration when you shift into 3rd. They plan to drop the gearbox next time and take a look at 2nd gear. Non of this might help but at least I can empathise !

Ken