Newbe needs help.

Guest Timothy

Guest Timothy

My new all black '03 LeMans will be here in a week, so my dealer tells me. Please give me some feed back on oval carbon fiber silencers. Mistral and FBF. Sound, power and durability is importent to me. Also Stucchi carbon fiber chin spoiler. Are they derable and dose it improve hight speed handling or impede it? :rolleyes:

Ciao

They are all good, from what I hear- I doubt they improve handling or cornering any, but my advice is to wait until the break-in period is over. Why flow more air, more heat, etc through a motor that isn't quite ready for it? If you get aftermarket mufflers, you WILL run your bike faster. Ask me how I know... :lol:

Cheers,

Jason

I'm sure Jason is right about the better sound/ run the bike harder equation but less restrictive exhaust (at least in my experience) will not make an engine run hotter IF you can restrain your throttle hand. Getting the hot gasses out of the head faster should slightly reduce engine temp.

From the little I know about the V11 (I'm a long time rider and shade tree mechanic but very new to Guzzis) it almost looks like the "mid-pipe" and maybe the mufflers are designed to make the engine weak at 3-4K RPM, the speeds you would use most during break-in. This also happens to the RPM where the sound tests are done, if I understand correctly. I would guess (anybody really know?) this is done by reflecting positive pressure waves to the exhaust port while the valve is open in this RPM range, holding the hot gasses in the head longer than they would be if the pipe was only designed to make the engine run well. I understand it is fairly common to use tricks like this to make a dip in the power curve to get "sweet" sounding pipes past the sound meters.

I'm not sure if I have a point or I'm just justifying to myself that I'm not an idiot for planning to put a Stucchi crossover on my bike before break-in is done. ;^) If I do have a point it is that an exhaust designed for the engine and not to meet an arbitrary sound standard is a good thing for many reasons. Just be sure you can restrain your right hand when that beautiful music is coming from the pipes until your engine has been run-in properly.

JMHO,

Lex

Guest Timothy

Thank you Jason,

Yes I plan on installing them after the first service with a Power Commander and K&N filter. That is why I need to settle on the bits to get them on order now. Thanks again.

:xmas:

Ciao

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull

The FBF pipes on my LeMans sound increadible. They're about $689 for the pair.

I wouldn't worry about waiting to break in the motor before you do the pipes, PC III and airbox conversion kit. The bikes come very lean from the factory which would make the motor run hotter than one that is correctly carbureted. :xmas:

I have the round Mistrals on my V11TT. The previous owner got them as part of the $1000 bonanza MGNA was offering new buyers (and that's all he got too - nothing else ever came in before he sold the bike to me with 528 miles on it). They sound magnificent. 9000 miles and 5 months later, they still sound great and no apparent problems with the bike.

Timothy, like the above post I'd suggest a look at Leo Vince cans. I put carbon fiber Leo's on my V11 LeMans about a year ago. They have a "deeper " sound, look great, fit & finish is first class, and quite honestly I simply wanted something different.

My LeMans runs great and this is the only performance mod I've done. Thus far I haven't felt the need for PC III, crossover changes, etc. BUT, I'm always interested in what other owners are doing. Good Luck! :bier: