more funnin' around

jrt

I tell you what! You show me that you can lean your bike over far enough to drag folding footpegs and I'll put them back on my bike. I presume you will try and convince all the road racers of this as well? They all swear by solid pegs (and they do tend to lean their bikes over a fair ways).

40239[/snapback]

Lay your bike on its side. Now, the pegs are dragging! Since racers get their bikes rebuilt for free, I don't imagine that they much care if solid pegs catch on pavement and lead to further damage to the bike. Since they likewise don't have much concern for getting rear-ended at a stoplight, they don't care if solid pegs will hamstring the rider and lead to lower leg amputation as happened to my brother's best friend.

Did you think I meant the pegs will catch while you were still on the bike? That's ridiculous! Your toes would be scraping pavement well before that happened...

Keep your solid pegs, if they make you happy. Since I've ridden bikes with both, and having a footpeg that gets out of your way instead of tripping you while paddling the bike around to park it is a far better option, I think I'll stay w/ folders, ["Elvis"] thankyewverramuuuuuchmamabaybuh [/Elvis]

:thumbsup:

Since they likewise don't have much concern for getting rear-ended at a stoplight, they don't care if solid pegs will hamstring the rider and lead to lower leg amputation as happened to my brother's best friend.

40316[/snapback]

Did you think that anyone could expect to get hamstrung from an average accident? Better get some more data to back this up!

Did you think that anyone could expect to get hamstrung from an average accident? Better get some more data to back this up!

40334[/snapback]

No.

But just once will ruin the whole rest of your life! :doh::(

Since the upside to solid pegs is insignificant and the downside is substantial, I'd rather spend the money saved on not making the conversion on lottery tickets & snake oil, which have far more beneficial rates of return... :thumbsup:

Safety issues (or not) aside I find the argal pegs to be much more positive feel than the stock pegs, and they certainly look a whole lot better.

Taking Jims comments on board I was thinking about adding some cylinder guards but it isn't too easy to tell from web photos which ones come out far enough to offer some protection - anyone got any recommendatios ?

Thanks,

Ken

Since the upside to solid pegs is insignificant and the downside is substantial.....

40368[/snapback]

What if you lowside your bike and your foot is still under the bike and the footpeg folds up? Seems to me there would be a substantial disadvantage there as the pavement grinds your foot down to a stump. On the other hand there would be a signifigant advantage to solid pegs in that you could just slide your foot out, coast to a stop and jump up virtually unscathed!

As to cylinder guards that have subsatntial protection there is a thread somewhere that shows one with a plastic spool on it but that is the only one I know of. I'll try and find the thread.

Lay your bike on its side. Now, the pegs are dragging! Since racers get their bikes rebuilt for free, I don't imagine that they much care if solid pegs catch on pavement and lead to further damage to the bike.

40316[/snapback]

I'll have to tell that to the thousands of club racers around the world who don't have full sponsorship. They would be elated to know that they can stop paying their own way finally! (and most of them still have solid pegs!)