Power Commander and MG's Race ECU

Guest PhilP

I went down to Spain last year on a trip - we did about 2500 miles on the v11 lemans (its a 2004 model). The roads were superb all the way from Le Havre in France down to the Costa Brava and the bike was faultless all the time we were at low altitude; but as soon as we got up in the mountains, the bike spluttered and misfired, backfired and pinked at almost all throttle openings irrespective of what gear it was in; and coated the ends of the cans in black soot. Even using super-unleaded petrol didn't make any difference. Back down at sea level everything returned to normal.

In the spring there's another European trip in the offing - only this time we'll be crossing the Alps instead of the Pyrennees - so there'll be more mountains to go up (and down). :bike::bike:

I don't want to have the same problem again and I'd also like to squeeze a bit more power out of the bike. I've got MG ti cans fitted and the MG racing ECU. These were on the bike for the trip to Spain. The next thing to go will be the airbox, and I'll fit a pair of K&N's. I'd also like to fit a Power Commander as well as I'm sure this would cure the misfiring/running rich at high altitudes but I'm not sure if they do one for the 2004 le mans.

How does the power commander work with the MG ECU - does the PCIII take the place of the MG ECU or do the two run together? Is there any alternative to the PCIII? It would be good to hear if anyone else has experienced anything similar to the rough running at high altitudes, too.

Phil :race:

Guest Brian Robson

The PC111 runs with the stock ECU and clips in easily. If you buy the PC from todd@guzzitech.com it comes with a map for your bike, and looking at the prices in the UK, Todd's prices seem cheaper, even taking into account shipping, duties and VAT.

There are other options, and at the minute there is an engaging debate concerning the merits of the alternatives.

I run the bike at altitudes similar to yours and found no problems, although a friend last year had a terrible time with rough running and found out that it was the sensor on the right cylinder causing the problem.

...but as soon as we got up in the mountains, the bike spluttered and misfired, backfired and pinked at almost all throttle openings irrespective of what gear it was in; and coated the ends of the cans in black soot....

May I suggest to check the pressure sensor? It's inside the ECU, you can remove the cover and try to measure the output voltage the sensor gives under different pressures.

Or check out the tuneboy stuff. It's also offering an analysis possibility. Or ask your local dealer. He should be able to read the error codes stored in the ecu. This is what I should have suggested first.

I do not believe that a PowerCommander can cure a faulty ECU.

Hubert

Hi Phil,

I experienced the same as you albeit on my old CB 1100 Honda waaaay back in the 80'ies. We were travelling in the Pyrenees, so my story is equivalent to yours.

I don't have an PC-III on my Scura but it's something I will purchase along with FBF cans, FBF x-over and FBF airfilter.

Good luck with your update.

Søren

Guest Brian Robson

I do not believe that a PowerCommander can cure a faulty ECU.

Hubert

40821[/snapback]

Thats very good, because nowhere in any of the threads regarding ECU's has anyone suggested that they could :homer:

Doh! I never even considered that the ECU might be faulty- I just assumed it was set for a mean altitude and if that was exceeded it then the fuel/air mixture wouldn't be quite right. It all makes sense now of course! Thanks for all the advice.

I'll check the pressure sensor out at the weekend and see what the result is... and it looks like Guzzitech will be getting my order for a PCIII (thanks Brian)

Guest dkgross

Phil..My bike is the one Brian was refering to. On the back of the right cylinder is a Temperatur Sensor...Mine got a short and got stuck thinking it was 3 degrees celcius outside. Make sure you check it. Drove Brian and I competely nuts.

And, yes..Get a PowerCommander..Todd@Guzzitech.com has a copy of my map that I had from my dyno run...

TiExhautst, Ferraci Airbox, Stucci XOver, PCIII Usb.

Guest Brian Robson
I would definitely recommend tuning natively instead of using a PC.

41399[/snapback]

With or without a loin cloth? :):)