TechnoResearch has a new Marelli tool

Frank

Hi,

I was talking to TechnoResearch people today. They have another software tool that allows you to directly address the Marelli ECU on MotoGuzzi's. I just bought one for the Harley I'm going to buy and the man told me that there is a Direct Link software package that can be used to modify the Guzzi as well.

http://www.technoresearch.com/

Frank

cool! they have added Mapping, and wide band O2 support.

How much do they charge?

The old product was $250-$500 depending on PC or Palm and what features are present on the Palm version.

This could be a good alternative to tuneboy if it is cheap enough...

I assume you can map more than one bike with this software.

With Tuneboy you need to pay 100-150 dollars for every bike you map, but the initial cost for the software, kit and mapping key for one ECU $310 (US)

I wonder how they compare, feature per feature???

Direct Link Lists:

Reflash multiple maps via serial programming.

• Modify fuel front & rear cylinder table, spark

front & rear cylinder table, etc.

• Modify Rev-limiter (RPM)

• Fuel front & rear cylinder, spark front & rear

cylinder, etc. table tracer

• External Wide-Band Oxygen sensor

• View data using strip chart or gauge/meter

format

• Data logger feature: automatic or manual

modes. Logs data on basis of user-defined

engine parameters.

• Alternate data capture positions: start/middle/

end

• Available in 5 languages

• Direct-Link comes with CD-ROM (software &

manual), serial interface box & cable, &

Hardware Key for USB or Parallel Port.

Tuneboy does not yet have a description for the Guzzi, but the Aprillia/Triumph/Bennelli list of features can be seen here:

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Products/Products.html

I think the only thing the tuneboy is missing is the availability in languages other than Englitch.

And maybe wide band O2 sensor support....or maybe it is mentioned in the ECU thread???

Guest Jeff in Ohio
cool! they have added Mapping, and wide band O2 support.

How much do they charge?

The old product was $250-$500 depending on PC or Palm and what features are present on the Palm version.

This could be a good alternative to tuneboy if it is cheap enough...

I assume you can map more than one bike with this software.

With Tuneboy you need to pay 100-150 dollars for every bike you map, but the initial cost for the software, kit and mapping key for one ECU $310 (US)

I wonder how they compare, feature per feature???

Direct Link Lists:

Reflash multiple maps via serial programming.

• Modify fuel front & rear cylinder table, spark

front & rear cylinder table, etc.

• Modify Rev-limiter (RPM)

• Fuel front & rear cylinder, spark front & rear

cylinder, etc. table tracer

• External Wide-Band Oxygen sensor

• View data using strip chart or gauge/meter

format

• Data logger feature: automatic or manual

modes. Logs data on basis of user-defined

engine parameters.

• Alternate data capture positions: start/middle/

end

• Available in 5 languages

• Direct-Link comes with CD-ROM (software &

manual), serial interface box & cable, &

Hardware Key for USB or Parallel Port.

Tuneboy does not yet have a description for the Guzzi, but the Aprillia/Triumph/Bennelli list of features can be seen here:

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Products/Products.html

I think the only thing the tuneboy is missing is the availability in languages other than Englitch.

And maybe wide band O2 sensor support....or maybe it is mentioned in the ECU thread???

41282[/snapback]

The technoresearch product is $449. For that price, you get unlimited mods to just ONE ECU. Harley Davidson sells a very simlar product. So similar, I bet that technoresearch wrote it for them. Anyway, a local HD dealer has the official HD version and they love it. I'm guessing that technorearch is comprised of either ex-Marelli people or has strong ties to Marelli. Everybody that works there is Italian - go figure. They are based in Detroit and appear to be a very professional company. They did mention that they are preparing to market this software thru Moto Guzzi direct and are currently in negotiations with them. I have their diagnostic tool (bought the original version way back when for a VERY good price directly from them)

after some additional poking, it appears that there is a tie in between Harleys EFI tuner they (HD) sell and Edelbrock. hmmmmm. technoresearch also sells items to talk to edlebrock efi systems. hmmmmm. could it be that technoresearch is the guys wrting the stuff for edelbrock/HD? If so, I know the HD product is a good thing, which means this product for teh Guzzi would be of excellent quality also.

but hey, for my motor with mufflers, no airbox lid and a crossover, my power commander works pretty damn good. and it's paid for...... does look like a cool program though....

The technoresearch product is $449. For that price, you get unlimited mods to just ONE ECU.  Harley Davidson sells a very simlar product. 

41336[/snapback]

Pricing that works for the RUBbie population in the Harley crowd won't necessarily fly for Guzzisti! If TechnoResearch wants to compete, they'll either need to sell additional licenses a la' Tuneboy [at a lower price, 'natch!] or lower their price to somewhat less than a PCIII [which offers unlimited updates to unlimited ECUs, but since it's a hardware solution, can obviously only be used on one machine at a time...]

Cliff's solution remains the best in terms of flexibility; the DJ PCIIIusb remains the most cost-effective. None of them strike me as necessarily cost efficient, unless you've already spent money on other mods. Que sera sera...

;)

Pricing that works for the RUBbie population in the Harley crowd won't necessarily fly for Guzzisti! If TechnoResearch wants to compete, they'll either need to sell additional licenses a la' Tuneboy [at a lower price, 'natch!] or lower their price to somewhat less than a PCIII [which offers unlimited updates to unlimited ECUs, but since it's a hardware solution, can obviously only be used on one machine at a time...]

Cliff's solution remains the best in terms of flexibility; the DJ PCIIIusb remains the most cost-effective. None of them strike me as necessarily cost efficient, unless you've already spent money on other mods. Que sera sera...

;)

41449[/snapback]

But the Tune Boy and Technoresearch products also offer great diagnosic tools.

Also, Jeff or somebody correct me if I am wrong, but for $449, the Direct Link lets you do unlimited maps not to one ECU, but to one model of ECU.

So you buy the software, and then you buy a key for every model ECU that you work on.

So you could buy a key for each, any, or one of the following ECUs:

Magneti-Marelli (IAW26h, IAW1.5M, IAW1.5RC, IAW1.5P ) & Delphi

So, all WE need is the one fo the 15M and then I believe we can map our friend's 15M ECUs too.

But someone should check with them to make sure that is how it works, otherwise I would be looking at the tuneboy.

For the frugal, they also offer a cheaper key, which only allows 5 map burns, but I assume, unlimited diagnostics, but I have no idea what the price for that is.

It may be a good option for someone who is set with their modifications or who already has a PCIII, and has dyno tuned, but wants to move the map to the ECU and leave the PCIII at home, or sell it, AND get the diagnostic capabilities.

But the Tune Boy and Technoresearch products also offer great diagnosic tools.

Also, Jeff or somebody correct me if I am wrong, but for $449, the Direct Link lets you do unlimited maps not to one ECU, but to one model of ECU.

41482[/snapback]

TR's previous solutions used a software "key" that was linked to the ECU's serial# [which the ECU is unfortunately aware of, so you can't just pass the key around along with the ECU's s/n from the case that the key is tied to...]; I imagine this updated version is set the same way, since this is also how the H-D "tuning kit" works.

Trust me, if it was "unlimited mods to one model of ECU" as you suggest, the unit price would be far higher. At $3k a pop it would still be worth it for a shop to buy one, since after they'd busted their nut by tuning a dozen bikes, everything after would be gravy.

I think TR needs to reexamine their business model at the very least. Basically, whomever gets their fustest with the mostest is going to lock down the market. Right now, DynoJet is just an rch away from doing so, but until they can meet that magic $200 price point, they'll still be open to sniping by the greater capacity/flexibility of the competing systems.

But that's just my opinion. :grin:

Guest Jeff in Ohio
Hmmm, I will contact TR.

That sure would suck, if it is only for ONE ECU.

EDIT

still waiting to hear back from them...been 24 hours.

41510[/snapback]

When you buy the program from technoresearch, it is serialized via a hardware key to YOUR ECU only. $450 lets you do your ECU ONLY as many times as you want. You can also buy it with a hradware key that will let you do 5 changes on ANY ECU - didn't ask for the price on that one....

shit, meeting the price poiunt of $200 for a product like that? ain;t never gonna happen. Hell, carb kits still run $70-$120 and thats for a handfull of jets and needles. $200, never..................

The FIM software is over $1000 and you8 gotta be a shop to buy it. $450 ain't bad....

Thanks Jeff,

I would have said the same, until tuneboy came out.

Heck, before TuneBoy came out, I would have paid $450 for a PCIII if it had ignition controlling cababilities.

TuneBoy and DirectLink do everything I need, save the Tuning Link, which the anonymous MOTO has given me some doubts about.

So, why should one buy the TR Direct Link rather than the Tuneboy?

The only reason I can think of is TR has a devoted history with the Marelli ECU, while TuneBoy is newer to this market, but doing an excellent job.

If you think people have trouble getting the TuneBoy trying to link up, you should watch my mechanic try to get the TR MBDST to link up. So, first hand I have seen the problems with TR.

So, the only real difference is $450 vs. $310.

Tuneboy has additonal keys for $100-150.

We still don't know the price from TR.

Another advantage is that TuneBoy is upfront about their product and has better documentation for their product on the web.

still waiting to hear back from them...been 24 hours.

41510[/snapback]

40 something and counting...

Dyna had my PCIII in UPS' hands in under 8 hours.

Maybe I made a typo on the email address?

Maybe I need to relax... :drink:

• 1 month later...

They wrote back to me yesterday.(36days)

They did not give me the details that I wanted on pricing.

I assume this price is for the map 5 times option.

But I would opt for the $450 model as my seat of the pants method will take 20 mappings.

This still could be the way to go as it includes excellent diagnostic software.

And if someone just wanted to transcribe their PCIII map to the ECU and resell the PCIII this could be an excellent deal.

"Dear Sir

Yes our software will let you map your MotoGuzzi. The price for the kit is $379 + shipping

Regards

Giamberto Scaccia

Director of Engineering

Technoresearch Inc.

www.technoresearch.com"