Spark Plugs

Mr. Bean

Hi all,

Looking for some feedback here. Attached is what my spark plug looks like after a few hundred miles. Both plugs have the same appearance. They have had this appearance since new everytime I check or replace them. My question is about the uneven blackening of the ceramic nose on the plug. I have never seen a plug with this type of one sided coloration before and am just wondering if this is typical of these engines or do I need to rethink my tuning. The engine seems to run very well right now.

Thanks,

Randy

Guest jerroldt

Every motorcycle that I have ever owned that was running properly showed light tan to chocolate brown around the plug ends. My Le Mans plugs have looked much like yours (sooty) since new but I need to check them again after opening up the exhaust a bit. I guess you start to worry if the plugs show up white which means running too lean. Just an opinion.

The uneven blackening is normal for a Guzzi. I have seen it on my bikes from day one (kinda like the black soot on the exhaust muffler outlet). It is my belief that the uneveness could be caused by the fuel injector location or perhaps the poor combustion design of the Guzzi (flame path). The color of the plugs look fine, just a light tan color.

Mike

Hi all,

Looking for some feedback here.  Attached is what my spark plug looks like after a few hundred miles.  Both plugs have the same appearance.  They have had this appearance since new everytime I check or replace them.  My question is about the uneven blackening of the ceramic nose on the plug.  I have never seen a plug with this type of one sided coloration before and am just wondering if this is typical of these engines or do I need to rethink my tuning.  The engine seems to run very well right now.

Thanks,

Randy

43802[/snapback]

Hi,

I decided to try Denso Iridium plugs just for the heck of it.

I persuaded myself to buy these high tech things thinking that the because those smaller diameter tips run much hotter, therefore there should not be any carbon build up issues with these.

br, JuhaV

Hi,

I decided to try Denso Iridium plugs just for the heck of it. 

I persuaded myself to buy these high tech things thinking that the because those smaller diameter tips run much hotter, therefore there should not be any carbon build up issues with these.

br, JuhaV

43944[/snapback]

Be interested to know if these plugs affect pinging at heavy loads. With the Guzzi's proneness to detonation I would have thought the last thing you want is a hot spot at the plug end.

may I chime in on a slightly (?) different thread? I adjusted my valves today (tonight) and when pulling my left spark plug, the head broke off-- came off on the plug itself. Now I have to replace the spark plug wire. Ok.... can I just lift my tank and get to the other end (is it a "plug" -- I hope or is it hard wired?) or do I need to pull the tank off? Suggestions!

My plugs always look fouled but run fine! Go figure. I agree with Tx. (strange)

what product code? IW20?

How expensive are they?

45309[/snapback]

Yes, IW20. I paid 16 EUR per plug. Those plugs have 1.1 mm gap that should work ok even if the gap for normal plugs is specified to be much smaller. Haven't rode those one yet, because of the snow :)

br, JuhaV

Yes, IW20. I paid 16 EUR per plug. Those plugs have 1.1 mm gap that should work ok even if the gap for normal plugs is specified to be much smaller. Haven't rode those one yet, because of the snow  :)

br, JuhaV

45315[/snapback]

That's not so bad. I will try get pair myself.

We have snow too, still 1/2 meter, but no new

snow for over a week now, so garage season is

starting to get into rush mode.

may I chime in on a slightly (?) different thread?  I adjusted my valves today (tonight) and when pulling my left spark plug, the head broke off-- came off on the plug itself.  Now I have to replace the spark plug wire.  Ok.... can I just lift my tank and get to the other end (is it a "plug" -- I hope or is it hard wired?) or do I need to pull the tank off?  Suggestions!

My plugs always look fouled but run fine!  Go figure.  I agree with Tx.  (strange)

44631[/snapback]

Sorry Tom, have wee been ignoring you?

The plug wire just pushes in and pulls out of the coil.

You might not even have to lift the tank????

nope. All is fine here. I got my new Heeter.com wires (red) recommended from Al (way good too) -- these are better than OEM for a fraction of the cost. They look great. I did have to lift the tank to get to the coil. I used the existing boot and clip end from the original. The boot went on loose to the wire, so I stuck some gasket maker in the boot to seal between the boot and wire. Been running fine since ( several days anyway).

:)