Anyone had a Power Commander problem?

Dirtybill

My PCIII is obviously knackered. The V11 will barely start with the damn thing hooked up and will only run on 1 cylinder if it starts. Unhook the PC and all is fine.

I found a slightly chafed wire on the PC and taped it up but it still won't work. I've also zeroed all the settings but to no avail. Anyone else had to send in their's for repair? I'm just wondering how much and how long it will take. It's not under warranty either.

That sounds similar to my symptoms.

I checked wire, no visible metal.

I reloaded the zero map, no go.

I reloaded the mistral map, no go.

I think mine is over three years old, so it is way past warranty.

I emailed Todd and he suggested sending it in.

They will check it out for free, and possibly offer a reduced replacement cost.

I sent mine in Saturday.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I hope to get it back before the Castaic Lake Rally.

:grin:

Before I begin can I just mention this is not meant as a start to a mass paranoia about PC111s :lol: , as far I can gather they are usually very reliable and I'm very happy with it.

However, I did have a PC111 usb go arse up last year, but unlike this example the bike did not run at all until it was unplugged (cut out completely, no warning, no spluttering, at 90 mph on a motorway,..or there abouts officer...ahem).

The dealer (Hobbsport in W. Yorkshire...very good), who fitted it and made a custom map, took it back and I got a new one fitted (which has been fine). The whole process took about a month but that was from the UK at the time and the delay was longer than they expected due to some problem or other (sorry can't remember, maybe something to do with staff being away on holiday).

In the mean time I ran it anyway (with a noticable power drop without the PC111! but not too bad and the plugs didn't show it to be running too weak even with mistrals & K&N with open airbox) as I wasn't about to let that halt the begining of the Guzzi rally season.

Anyhow, Hobbsport relayed back to me that there was no explanation from the PC bunch as to why it failed, just that it was not repairable, the company also said it was very rare on a usb model (maybe even the first time they had seen it, I can't remember again...getting old :grin: ).

From what I read they generally seem like a good bunch to deal with, best thing is to get in touch with them, they may be able to sort you very quick :huh2:

good luck

Mal :helmet:

Before I begin can I just mention this is not meant as a start to a mass paranoia about PC111s  :lol: , as far I can gather they are usually very reliable and I'm very happy with it.

Mal :helmet:

45714[/snapback]

Absolutely no paranoia required.

Mine failing could be my own fault as the seat may have damaged the wire and my velcro came unglued and the unit bounced around getting dinged up.

Plus with the number of relay failures I have had, the electrical system could be at fault too.

Guest rotorhead

I had exactly the same problem with my PCIII (non-usb) some time ago. It caused me much, much, much aggrevation as the unit was new and I assumed something was wrong with the bike. The blasted thing would cause the motor to radomly quit runnning :o even going down the freeway at triple digits or manageing the twisties became an excersise in extreme caution. After MANY trips to dealer and even getting MGNA involved personally it turned out to be the PC. Don't ask me why but it took nearly 2 years to sort it out :huh2: I contacted Dynojet and they swapped it out for another one even though warranty had expired. Very nice of them I thought.

My two cents.

Keith

No direct experince I don't own a fuel injected bike at the moment. (1100sport cabed and VOR530ENE converted to a motard). But anedotally there have been some mumblings about PC's not been that reliable. Most on my friends with them gave up in digust as there is no local mapping faclity (Dyno Jet sanctioned at least) and the local Dyno guys don't really want to know about them them maps on the net seem to ethier fix only on part of the rev range to the detriment of the other bits. Most of these bikes been Honda's Kawa's yammies Suzi etc etc not some odd low volume european thing. Combined with the average litre bike punching out 150HP+ stock they have stopped bothering with them.

The lack of Tuning Link dynos down under may help explain why FIM, TuneBoy, and MY15 all come from downunder!

If Dyna does not fix my PCIII, I may consider the alternative. But it is soooo easy to go to a Tuning Link dyno here. And I know the downloaded PC Maps improved my bike.

Setting the TPS and other settings to match the bike that produced the map is important.

I wish map posters would spec all their settings, so that people don't get an improvement in some areas and problems in other areas of the map.

What I may do is splurge and get both a PCIII and tune boy so that my PCIII can sit on a shelf. Gotta get that tax refund!

• 3 weeks later...

So, last week I got the PCIII back.

They fixed it and shipped it back to me for free. :bier:

The description of the repair was vague. I think they just updated the firmware.

There were no visible changes other than they put a sticker on it and a new serial port cover.

Great to have it back. :race: