Moose Hunt (NGC)

twhitaker

Two Norwegian hunters from Minnesota hired a pilot to fly them to Canada

to hunt moose. They bagged six. As they started loading the aircraft for

the return trip, the pilot said the plane could take only four moose.

The two hunters objected: "Last year we shot six and the pilot let us put them all on board, and he had the same plane as yours."

Reluctantly, the pilot gave in and all six moose were loaded. But the little plane couldn't handle the load and went down a few moments after take-off. Climbing out of the wreckage, one Norski asked the other, "Any idea where we are?" His friend replied, "Yeah, I think we're pretty close to where we crashed last year."

My Dad flew C-123's for Air America in Laos during the mid-sixties. Yes, the same type in the movie with Mel Gibson and no, nothing in the movie except the opening sequence with the Pilatus Porter landing on an improbable hillside strip, resembles anything I remember about Laos when I lived there as a teenager. That movie is universally despised by anyone that was there. But I digress.

My father landed at a remote strip (very short and made of mud) to pick up a caterpillar D9. One look at it and he said it would be beyond the weight capacity of the aircraft. The dipshit that had scheduled the flight was along and insisted that the vehicle be placed aboard the aircraft. My Dad said okay, but remove the wheels (heavy) after it was loaded and the wheels would have to remain behind. This was done and all would have been just fine, but while my Dad wasn't looking, Mr. Dipshit had the laborers load the wheels back onto the aircraft just before closing the ramp door. When the overladen aircraft went to take off, it wasn't more than a foot off of the ground at the end of the strip despite being at maximum power. The aircraft bounced off an earth berm at the end of the runway and struggled into the air, barely making it back to base. My Dad was furious, he almost killed Mr. Dipshit. Mr Dipshit did this frequently, hopping rides to try and get enough air time for his commercial license as well impress somebody with his scheduling ability to get over limit loads on to aircraft. Eventually, he managed to overload a plane to the point where it went down killing him and everyone else on the aircraft. I'm very grateful that my father was not on that flight.

When I was flying in the Amazon I had the same thing happening. The loadmaster would give me a load sheet that always seemed to be a max load of 2250 lbs everytime but it never felt that way. Sometimes I would unload stuff if it looked too heavy and just before I would take off they would try to sneak it in.

There is seating for nine in the back of a 205 and i would sometimes find 10 or 11 crawling in. Sometimes I missed them and would see them as they exited the aircraft. I ask them who wore seatbelts and they all said they did even though there are only nine belts.

I had fun flying there!

Guest Nogbad

There is seating for nine in the back of a 205 and i would sometimes find 10 or 11 crawling in. Sometimes I missed them and would see them as they exited the aircraft.

48675[/snapback]

Fortunately GW Bush and his minions ensure the natives are nicely malnourished to avoid these overloading problems. Hope you are grateful.