Dipstick Problems

wildbill

Uh- oh... feels like my oil dipstick is frozen into the case... :homer: I don't want to snap it, does anyone have any ideas? I doused it with penetrating oil, tried getting it off when engine is warm and cold... I didn't buy it, but I think it's an MPH cycle aftermarket stick... with the inset hex impression for loosening it... any ideas are appreciated!

Uh- oh... feels like my oil dipstick is frozen into the case...  :homer: I don't want to snap it, does anyone have any ideas? I doused it with penetrating oil, tried getting it off when engine is warm and cold... I didn't buy it, but I think it's an MPH cycle aftermarket stick... with the inset hex impression for loosening it... any ideas are appreciated!

49024[/snapback]

Bill, I just removed one from my bike and it was tight. Mine needed a 8mm. hex to remove it and it did fit looser than I would like it to. I am not sure if you should do it on a cold or hot engine. On steel, usually heat works to free up bolts so I guess a hot engine would be better. I would not worry about snapping it off but rounding out the hex would worry me. Try using the tightest hex wrench that will fit and put pressure on the allen wrench and give it a blow with a hammer in the loosening direction. The dipstick should break loose. Go back to the stock unit, it does not look as cool but it is lighter and now allen wrench is needed.

Good luck,

Mike

Guest ratchethack

Just had the same thing happen yesterday after cooling down from a 160 mi ride. I always use a 8mm allen wrench that fits the stock dipstick head nice & tight, but this time tapping on the wrench with a hammer wouldn't git-'er-done. I put a 'come-along' between the end of the 6 1/2" long allen wrench handle and the passenger footpeg and cranked in enough tension to put a nice curve in the wrench - as much as I dared. Then I tapped on the outer edge of the dipstick head with a flat-faced punch, and she let go. Lucky... :blush: I'm going with a LOT less torque next time - just snug. -_-

Don't know if it makes any difference *hot* or cold? If it ever happens again, I'll try *hot*.

It doesn't take much torque to seal the dipstick. There should be an o-ring seal underneath it. Even loose, I've never had one come out, so don't overtighten it. I replaced my stock one with a thermometer gizmo, and only finger tighten it.