Low-fuel Indicator

Kiwi Dave

The low-fuel indicator bulb on my '02 Le Mans is very dull compared with all the other indicator bulbs. The dealer changed the sender unit and checked the bulb but the problem exists. There is talk that this might be deliberate. If it is, does anyone know how to adjust the reduction in brightness?

I think one of the magazines (maybe it was Cycle World) mentioned the fuel light on their test bike was hard to see. I've never had a problem seeing mine. Maybe it only happened on the bikes built on Friday afternoon <_>

Looking at the schematic, there are very few things that could affect the light and I would venture to say that it is a bad crimp on a wire in one of the connectors or the connector itself. Ripping into a wire harness is non-trivial so I would suggest learning to use the tripmeter, it's far more useful then the low fuel indicator anyway once you have the mileage by riding style characteristics figured out.

I think it is probably a feature. I have trouble seeing any of my lights in bright daylight. It would be nice if the lighting had a day mode and a night mode.

The Oil and Alternator lights are supposed to be the brightest. The High Beam is supposed to be the dimmest. Perhaps the yellow tranlucent filter is too opaque. I would not mess with it though. The trip meter is the way to go. If you use it, you can also calculate your fuel consumption! I fill up every 130 to 150 miles, or top it off before leaving civilization.

I get nervous about running out after 180 miles.

I've noticed on my '01 V11 Sport that the fuel light comes on at first kind of dull, and then progressively gets brighter as the tank gets emptier. Hmm... now that I think about it, maybe the sky was getting darker! Now I don't know!

BTW, how many miles should we expect to get after the light comes on?

I've noticed on my '01 V11 Sport that the fuel light comes on at first kind of dull, and then progressively gets brighter as the tank gets emptier. Hmm... now that I think about it, maybe the sky was getting darker! Now I don't know!

BTW, how many miles should we expect to get after the light comes on?

No, your impression is right. It gets brighter on mine too. Does it on my wifes' bike (Jackal) as well. I always thought it was hooked up to a potentiometer in the tank, but honestly- I don't know. I'm kind of curious to know how many gallons are left in the tank also. Not curious enough to find out myself, but still...

J

Mine operates like Woodburns also. I kind of like it that way. You know how serious it is. On solid?!? Better take the next exit!

I would prefer larger/brighter warning lamps as these seem quite small after owning a Cali 1100.