dead and jammed motor!

cmsmolka

Driving home this week- puttin along about 40 and the bike just dies? Pulled over and tried to restart and the starter whirled like there was no compression and the motor just locked up! Seems like maybe the timing chain broke or something? Anyone heard or come across this? My bick has only 5800 miles on it and now i'm heart broken, Going to call MGNA tomorrow to see if they can help. I'll keep you all informed.

Driving home this week- puttin along about 40 and the bike just dies? Pulled over and tried to restart and the starter whirled like there was no compression and the motor just locked up! Seems like maybe the timing chain broke or something? Anyone heard or come across this? My bick has only 5800 miles on it and now i'm heart broken, Going to call MGNA tomorrow to see if they can help. I'll keep you all informed.

52443[/snapback]

Did the bike have plenty of oil? Maybe too much oil? Thats a motor that should last over 100,000 miles. Hopefully its something minor.

Guest Bruce

I'd pull the spark plugs and the valve covers and try turning the rear wheel and see if the valves go up and down as they should.

Hopefully its nothing too bad.

How do you know the motor locked up? Not denying- just curious.

You can pop the front alternator cover off and there is an allen head bolt which is used to turn the motor over (take out the spark plugs first). If the motor turns over, pop off a valve cover and check for valve actuation. If they move, the timing chain is intact (not to say it didn't skip a tooth, though).

Guest davidb

Out of warranty? How far are you from San Andreas CA? You cannot have a starter "whirl", no compression AND a locked engine. If you live close enough, one of us might drop by and check it out.

Not got much of an idea at the moment as to the cause of this breakdown but its very unlikely to be a timing chain, I've ridden and known Guzzis for many years and I've never heard of a problem with a timing chain other than getting a bit sloppy at huge milages, at this milage its unlikely unless you have been very very unlucky :(

As the others here point out its generally easy to see if an engine is siezed, whip out the plugs and turn the engine somehow, either in neutral via the alternator or in gear with the back wheel (easier if you have a paddock stand!).

I can't think of anything immediately to point a finger at as these engines are very strong unless its oil is too low or some kind of oil pressure failure! :huh2:

I hope it is something simple and easily fixable, good luck

Mal :helmet:

Sounds exactly like what happened when my starter went south. The button had stuck or had been sticking in slightly and the ring gear wrecked the bendix, spun the starter into oblivion in a few moments. Pull the starter, make sure the battery has plenty juice and bump start her.Hope that's the problem, cos its easy to fix.

I hate to oversimplify; however, whenever I've had any kind of problem such as this, it's ALWAYS turned out to be a bad fuel pump relay connection. The bike has died on me in the past, sounding very much like your situation. I'd pull over, take off the seat, jiggle the rearmost relay, and Voila! All was good again ('til the next time it happened).

52443[/snapback]

Bet I can tell you EXACTLY wat has happened,same thing on my 02Rosso. I had been traveling at around 70mph and started slowing through gears for a junction. The engine cut out dead. I pulled over and engine made sound on starter like no compression. When I got bike home (dealers all to busy to look for me) I found valve gear not moving,I stripped out timing cover and cam sprocket fell out! The big nut holding it had come right out. Little internal damage to front cover but otherwise all ok. Retimed up and fitted bolt with locktite! This bike had only done 400miles!

Be interested to see your findings !!!! :(

Guest davidb

Nothing like thee "ol cam gear fell off" problem. All the guzzi web sites should get a petition going and send it to Guzzi in italy stating that they had better hire a quality control dude or we won't be back.

I'm knocking on wood again 9,000 miles and nothing but a leaky fork seal. I hoping another 9,000 with nothing going wrong. :unsure: But honestly compared to a lot of bikes the build and finish is very well done. The paint doesn't fair so well (my tank has 2 bubbles and we're not gonna start on the wrinkle cases) But really top notch bikes we got here compared to many other comperable bikes. :huh2:

Thanks for the input guys- I called MGNA and spoke with customer service. There interested in finding out what happened and I have a verbal that they'll assist with paying for the repair. Took my bike to the local Guzzi dealer here in CT and will let you know what he finds. I've passed along your comments and have even requested assistance with the crinkled paint on my engine cass. We'll wait and see.