Fuel Tank Removal

Guest MikeC

Guest The Big Katuna

The doodad on the right side of the tank is the fuel pressure regulator. The small hose connector is meant to simply sample atomospheric pressure to compare it to fuel pressure.

When you remove the hoses, they should be full of gasoline.

I recommend safety goggles, as the first time I removed the tank, a hose that I was removing, flingged fuel in my face. :ninja:

It may be a good time to replace the fuel filter and hoses...

I was wondering about the small hose connector, looked like something was missing, thanks for clarifying as I dont have a manual yet and am fairly new to Guzzi's ,I replaced my breather hose and did a check of everything under the tank ,the insulation was starting to come off so I reglued everything, man, its going to be nice to ride without having to clean up oil blowby after each ride.

• 3 months later...

Hi Mr Magoo, just done a quick search and found this, its the way i did it the last time i took my tank off :thumbsup: .

Gary

" Push the hose towards the rear of tank then push the grey ring towards the front of the tank hold pressure on the grey ring and you should now be able slide off the tap. They can be a bit difficult the first time. "

• 2 months later...
Guest mrunowho

Soo after my Ballabio sat for a year in storage I realized I never drained the fuel , so before starting up for the first time I wanted to get all the old fuel and oil out of the system...Swapping the oil was a snap but the fuel tank ended up being a problem so this is what I did.....I removed the "OUT" line from the tank (you have to push in on the fuel line while pushing the retaining clip forward to release kind of a pain). I have heard this before on the forums but of course didn't listen: I highly recommend wearing eye protection even if it is just sunglasses cause even after a year the fuel line was still under pressure, unless you enjoy the sensation of high octane fuel in the eye...I didn't.... I connected a spare fuel line to the tank "OUT" nipple and put the other end in a spare gas container.... I then pulled the last electrical relay (the one closest to the back) and jumped the number 3 and the number 5 relay points with a small piece of insulated wire... This activated the fuel pump without having to turn on the ignition thus removing any fuel from the tank and the system... Turns out I had a hell of a lot of fuel still in the bike so it took two small containers but this was not a problem, just removed the relay jumper wire, swapped tanks and reinstalled the jumper... After fuel was all drained I removed the jumper and reinstalled the relay, reconnected the bikes fuel line to the "OUT" nipple(I like to say that)which was a snap, literally snaps right into place just push it on, and refilled the tank with some nice fresh fuel.... Primed the system by turning on and off the ignition switch about 5-6 times and started it right up... Old fuel is bad and from now on I will use a fuel stabilizer to combat the issue but if you have forgot to and your bike has been in storage for more than two months you should drain the fuel and replace it.... Hope this was helpful to someone out there... Good riding