Steering Damper failed

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

Calling UK based people:

My Bitubo steering damper is knackered, with a badly asymmetric action and a dead spot of about 3mm with no damping at all when the direction of travel reverses.

Is a faulty steering damper an MOT fail item if fitted?

I like the look of the Hyperpro dampers and have a reasonable quote for one. Would you go for the CSC (constant) or the RSC (reactive) type. RSC is about £20 more expensive. The CSC is basically the same characteristic as the old Bitubo if that was working.

Do I even need a damper? Bear in mind my V11 is the early short frame fast steering model.

If it's just for the MOT, take it off. If they cant test it, they cant fail it. Try the bike without, take it steady, I'd stillfit another just for peace of mind. You can always back it right off. Buy the best for your bike,if you buy a cheaper one, you'll always be wondering if.... :2c:

They will fail the bike if anything affects the steering, including badly routed cables, steering head bearings, or indeed a faulty damper. I reckon you should immediately remove the faulty steering damper because it could cause a strange reaction on hitting a bump, etc. Most adjustable steering dampers will be ok for the bike - it's a matter of how long they last. Get one asap - you don't want to find out you needed it :huh:

Guest Nogbad

Trouble with taking it off is that it would leave a very obvious steering damper bracket sticking out of the frame.

The Bitubo's action has become very strange indeed. Pushing the left bar, the damper always resists immediately. Push the right bar and it moves easily with no damping for a short distance before resistance starts. If you then push the left bar again, you get immediate resistance. Therefore, the damper would tend to act as a ratchet if I had a steering wobble, the effect of which could be to give me full left lock.

Ouch :(

I think I will order up a Hyperpro RSC. Better safe than sorry eh!

Anyone else have trouble with these Bitubo dampers?

Nogbad, let me know if you need a Ohlins one...

53309[/snapback]

hmmm....i will soon add a damper to my bike. Sorry for asking, but do you sell Ohlins parts ?

bedankt,

Doesn't matter a fig if they can see a bracket or not, if the damper isn't there, they cant fail you.Wee story; when I used to prepare trucks for test, I was in the test station when an English guy came in with a Renault space cab, one of those ones that looks like a block of flats on wheels. He failed on a windscreen crack that was too big, in a big panic he asked what could be done,he had a load to pick up later that day. I kicked out the windscreen and put it back in for test. If it wasn't there, they couldn't fail it. He had a breezy 20 mile run to the screen place after to get a replacement,but he passed the test and he got his load. Dont let the bastards intimidate you, you can get a copy of the regs book for about £30 and it can be worth its weight in gold. Most testers seem to work more on opinion than fact :2c: I've had plenty of experience with them f*ckers, if you have the book,they'll squirm like an eel in hot pants, but you'll get your ticket.

Guest Nogbad

Off it comes then.

I won't be able to resist taking the Bitubo apart to see what makes it tick. If I can find out what's wrong with it and put it right, is 10W fork oil the right stuff to use in it?