No speedo, broke-o

guzziownr

Zipping over the Queensboro Bridge this morning I glanced at the clocks to discover my speedo at a standstill.

It broke its cable about two inches from the bottom. I have a new one coming from MG Cycle, any tips on lubrication?

David in NYC

The new cable should have less bend where it comes out of the transmission. Getting one from MG Cycles may not be the new style that you need. Shouldn't this be a warrantee issue?

I still have the old style (90 degree bend) and have over 10k on the bike (now knocking on wood) :homer:

Mike

Lubrication of speedo cable- I mixed up 10w-30 Mobil 1 and some old Kalgard Engine Gard moly liquid, 1:1 and dribbled some down until it came out the bottom fitting. Don't know if that will work but I'll know soon enough.

Guest putt-meister

My speedo cable was completely frozen in sheath due to the tight bend it takes and sitting on the showroom floor for years. I used a good moly grease and ran it in with a drill motor to loosen it up. Since then I disconnect the speedo cable from the speedo every couple of thousand of miles and pull the cable out of the sheath, wipe it clean, smear new grease on and re-install it. Seems to be working so far. :)

Mine went at about 4,000 miles. I asked the dealer if I could send the broken cable to them and have it replaced under warranty. The reply was that I needed to bring the bike in.

Rather than suffer a 200 mile round trip through towns and cities I bought a speedometer cable repair kit from Crown Auto for abot $4, straightened out the bend at the transmission, and lubed it with lithium grease and 10-40 synthetic oil. 6,000 miles later it is still OK.

I'd try a dry lubricant like teflon- it wears slowly and it doesn't attract dirt.

I've been using this stuff on my motorcycle chain and it seems to be doing a fine job. It does leave a white residue from overspray that can be wiped off.

Guest philbo
Zipping over the Queensboro Bridge this morning I glanced at the clocks to discover my speedo at a standstill.

It broke its cable about two inches from the bottom.  I have a new one coming from MG Cycle, any tips on lubrication?

David in NYC

53255[/snapback]

Mind broke at ~400 miles and it took me nearly six months to get a replacement from the factory - downside, it was a pain in the ass - upside - it adds over 2 thousand miles to the warrantee.

I have had two speedo cables break. 1st one at 1000 miles. 2nd one at 3500 miles. I now have the new and improved one from guzzi. I now have 5400 miles on my lemans. Both replacements were covered under warrantee.

rocketman

Thanks for all the info. The cable was lubed at the top and dry at the bottom. Probably partially seized from almost two years of sitting before purchase. It is more of a 45 degree angle coming out of the transmission so I guess I got a "new and updated" version

The new cable was around $45 from MG. I will explore a warranty claim to get a spare for when the bike is out of warrranty and the thing breaks again.

DW