Engine Pinging

Guest MikeC

my 03 lemans has not had pinging :P I only use regular gas and put her into 6th gear all the time on the slab. I open it up all the time but I don't hammer it constantly either. Tuning my tps and tb's made a big performance difference however :2c: my personal bet here is a tank of bad gas did it..... does it ping all the time with each tank of gas.....?

My 2000 V11 Sport would ping at freeway speeds when the throttle was rolled on around 4200 rpm. This only happens when the weather is hot. My 03 Rosso, never has pinged. The bikes were set up with the same exhaust, crossover, lid less air box.

RacerX told me that he uses the PCIII accelerator function when the weather gets warm. This eliminates his ping.

Just a thought,

Mike

Weird- mine just doesn't seem to ping.  I'll open her up above 5K and she's just fine. 

What kind of gas mileage do you get?  I'm averaging about 36 mpg (15.3 Km/L) which seems very low to me.  Maybe I'm running way rich, but the plugs look nice and tan. 

:huh2:

54144[/snapback]

36MPG US on a good day....If I get 37MPG I double check my math and then celebrate!....Commuting 7-10 miles one way gets lower thirties. Probably cause of the cold engine.

I run the valves 0.15/0.20mm.

PCIII with map for stock map averaged out with zero map (8 becomes 4, 9 becomes 5, -6 becomes -3, etc. with some additional fuel where I think it pings....but I need to add more there)

TPS

170mV linkage detached/screw out, engine not running.

400mV linkage attached. engine idling 1050vegliaRPMs

I find it interesting that I don't get the higher 500-525mV reading at idle that others get.

But for sure it would be higher if I set the idle higher, but I like it low as it shifts into first better.

It is possible that the noise I hear is the clutch starting to rattle, and not pingin' :huh2:

Guest MikeC

To All,

Thanks for all the replys and advice. Glad to hear it's not me alone and I wasn't crazy because I never heard of motorcycles pinging. I have a PC on order from Todd and he will set it up with a map for my bike, he feels it will also get rid of most if not all the pinging.

With me right now it only happens at highway speeds if I'm really rolling the throttle open and getting at the 90+ mph area in sixth gear.

I set my TPS at 150mv with all the linkage disconnected and 515mv with it connected, air bleeds about 1/2 turn open. Bike idles nice around 1100 to 1150 rpm's.

I have the MDST and when I hooked it up to check things out and get an initial reading on things the "electronic" fuel trim reading was -127. I was told by the original owner that no one has changed that and it came stock that way. Plugs look good. Does that seem like a low number. I was told the number plugged in at the factory could vary greatly from one bike to another.

Mike