Squeal or sweak letting out the clutch

Guest jmcglinn

Guest jmcglinn

Hi,

In traffic in Chicago on a V11 Sport is already a challenge, then add a squeal or sweak to letting out the clutch in stop-n-go traffic. Hmm. It is not the clutch or the cable but something in the engine mounts or suspension that when the engine shudders, a squeal is emitted. A minor verison of the squeal happens upon quick deceleration and gear change with clutch and engine shudder. And no, I do not lug the engine. Thanks for any observations/advice. John

Guest jmcglinn
Check the rubber bushing on the 'reactive rod' on the rear drive box?

54217[/snapback]

Hi, ah, hmmm, the sound I should have mentioned is up front, like near the front of the engine, or in the front suspension and the bike has 3200 miles. Thanks.

Could you elaborate on the 'shudder' part? Does the engine stutter the bike forward (grab-loose-grab-loose) and make it sound like the transmission is banging? If so, you might need new clutch plates. Another symptom of a bad clutch plate is excessive vibration at speed.

The engine itself is hard bolted to the frame- no rubber mounts to squeak (when I think of squeaks, I think of rubber on metal).

There's the rear shock which mounts about where the seat is- you could take a look at that, maybe bounce up and down on the bike to extend/compress the shocks and eliminate them as a possibility.

Check up front around the headlight, the oil cooler and the horns for any loose or missing bolts. Check the alternator cover as well.

The other possibility that comes to mind is the throwout bearing, but again- this is at the rear of the transmission.

Does the bike run ok other than squealing?

J

Hi,

In traffic in Chicago on a V11 Sport is already a challenge, then add a squeal or sweak to letting out the clutch in stop-n-go traffic. Hmm. It is not the clutch or the cable but something in the engine mounts or suspension that when the engine shudders, a squeal is emitted. A minor verison of the squeal happens upon quick deceleration and gear change with clutch and engine shudder. And no, I do not lug the engine. Thanks for any observations/advice. John

54211[/snapback]

If you have the single plate Ram clutch i would check it. I had a squeal or screech sound

at times before my clutch munted itself. No similair souunds since the relacement.

Regards

Bruce

You likely need to lube the splines on the input hub to the tranny. Or wait and replace the whole thing.

54538[/snapback]

Interesting comment. Does that spline require lubrication? Because my clutch screech sounds exactly like dry metal to metal contact.

Interesting comment.  Does that spline require lubrication?  Because my clutch screech sounds exactly like dry metal to metal contact.

54545[/snapback]

Yes. Splines on both the single- and dual-plate clutches last much longer if lubed. On dual-plate clutches, you also have to lube the splines on the i.d. of the flywheel.

My 2004, low miles LM apparently was assembled less the spline lube. I imagine that means tranny removal to get at the affected wear points. And a moly paste applied sparingly to the inner spline surfaces to avoid clutch contamination. Great. Looks like a winter project. I thought I was getting away from this when I sold the BMW RS.

Sorry for the hijack, but this has been bugging me from when I first got the bike and I had been told it was "normal".

I never said that dry splines were causing your squeak. The squeak could be due to another cause. All I said is that the splines last longest when lubed.

Someone on the Guzzitech list tried an interesting approach to lubing splines. He drilled a hole through the bellhousing, behind the starter, and squirted the splines from there. It appears to have worked. I'm thinking of trying it myself.

I never said that dry splines were causing your squeak. The squeak could be due to another cause. All I said is that the splines last longest when lubed.

Someone on the Guzzitech list tried an interesting approach to lubing splines. He drilled a hole through the bellhousing, behind the starter, and squirted the splines from there. It appears to have worked. I'm thinking of trying it myself.

54604[/snapback]

Got it. Jumping ahead again looking for answers.

Guest Nogbad

54604[/snapback]

This sounds a bit risky... What would you squirt them with? Any lube needs to stay exactly where it's put and anything thin enough to penetrate the spline is going to be thin enough to fling off all over the friction surfaces.

This sounds like a potty idea to me. If my clutch needs attention to the spline it will have to wait till the clutch breaks and I have to strip it, whereupon it will get some dry type lube that stays put. Come to think of it, I should get the shop to lube the splines when they do the tranny recall next month.

• 2 weeks later...
This sounds a bit risky... What would you squirt them with? Any lube needs to stay exactly where it's put and anything thin enough to penetrate the spline is going to be thin enough to fling off all over the friction surfaces.

This sounds like a potty idea to me. If my clutch needs attention to the spline it will have to wait till the clutch breaks and I have to strip it, whereupon it will get some dry type lube that stays put. Come to think of it, I should get the shop to lube the splines when they do the tranny recall next month.

54639[/snapback]

I will use chain lube. A little on the plates will likely hurt nothing. If it does, what have I lost? I can clean the plates.

If you wait, you risk notching the tranny input hub. That costs as much as the clutch plates.